Thread: 1970 911s restoration

1970 911s restoration

I am in the process of collecting parts for my car which i plan to give a real good paint job soon. In the process i am planning to restore the interior.
    I need some leads from anyone on the Board about the best place to get the following in terms of quality and price ( with quality being more important):
    1. carpet
    2. dash
    3. headliner
    4. door panels- mine have the standard 1970 pull down pockets
    5. rubber trim: i seen complete rubber trim for sale in the mid-200's but was told that this was inferior rubber. Is this true? and if so where can i get the good stuff.
    Thanks for any inputs/ideas.

All I can say is start reading the ads, surfing the net...there are a LOT of vendors out there. I'm not trying to be a wise ass here...that's just the way it is. Besides, the research is part of the fun...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I think appbiz is good for several of the items you mentioned.

Check out and search the Pelican web site.

I'm curious re the rubber trim as I'd like to replace mine.

while checking out pelican i saw a listing for the entire rubber trim package for the mid 200's. This is trim package that one of the sales people at partsheaven said was not very good quaility since the price was so low.
    They think a rubber package should be around $800, i dont mind payiing that amount as long as it well made.
    I am thankful to any info that anyone can share since I am sure that someone here has dealt with this before.

I always check Stoddards in OH too. There are no bargin prices, but the parts they sell for our cars are OE. I will usually compare their prices and source to Pelican. For door seals I bought the correct original kind (solid not hollow) from a shop Nick Moss sent me to called Roger Bray Restoration in the UK. They look extactly like the original ones.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Check out Autos International for some odd interior bits like straps to hold up rear squab seats and possibly other interior upholstery items. They also do nice upholstery work.
    Ph: 760-737-3565

Check e-Bay for some used and new parts, sometimes OEM, sometimes not.

If you need an excellent source for perfect chrome plating, I can get that for you.

One copy of "Excellence" has most of the common parts sources as advertisers.
    Scott Marshall
    911 S Registry member#724
    1981 Porsche 911SC
    1993 Porsche 968 Clubsport
    1961 Abarth Record Monza, 1964 Abarth Simca 2000
    1962 Abarth 1000GT, 1964 Abarth 850TC Nurburgring

Thanks Teescott and Fryardds;
    By the way whats does OEM means?
    And i guess i should be getting OEM parts instead of the reprodusctions.

OEM= 'original equipment manufacturer.' It was the part that was spec'd and built for the car when it was made. Some of the parts suppliers are still in business and still build the stuff the same way it was done originally.

On the Pelican bit, they strive to sell quality parts and stand behind what they sell. They also suffer criticism when they fail on their own site. They really can't afford to offend. I have no connection with Pelican.

Thanks Zeke,
    that helps.