Chris:

I think that it is appropriate for you to have another mechanic verify the work that is done, especially if you are non-technical, as I am. An honest shop shouldn't argue about it.

The arguments may come when the "list" is presented. But it is like the punchlist on a new house. You will show it to your shop, and wait to see their reaction. There are likely to be issues that they will agree are not completed or are completed improperly. But there will be things that they won't agree on.

In those instances, you will have to negotiate a settlement with them. There are things that they will do at no charge, things they will do with a small additional payment from you, and things they won't do. You have spent a lot of money with them. My guess is that they will want you to be happy. There is nothing better than a happy customer referral, and nothing worse for business than the passed word of a disgruntled customer.

And Sandy -- Gotta disagree with you. There are a number of instances where I have asked another "expert" to check out what I hired the first expert to do. If I am not an expert, how am I to verify that the guy I hired did the work that was contracted?

larry