Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 73Resto: Final touches

Chris,
    Given where you started from a PPI to make sure that the car is INDEED a driver before pickup seeme reasonable to me.
    And; if the shop is reasonable they should understand and agree.

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Originally posted by RandyWebb
    "he who holds the cash calls the shots"

This is good advice if you want to spend a fortune in attorneys fees....

Be a decent person and talk to the guy about a PPI.
    If it goes so far, that attorneys get involved - someone has some SERIOUS communication issues!

Agree, talk to the man- ask for a reasonable independent verification that what you paid for was done properly.

Holding final payment (contingent on inspection) simply gives you some leverage - Business 101. Dat's all I meant. I assumed Chris would continue to be the fine gent he is.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Getting 'somebody' to ensure what you expect to have been done to actually have ben carried out and that it all works correctly is insurance for both parties.
    If it checks out to your satisfaction then you can feel happy and so can the shop.

If not then at least you and the shop know where you stand.

Even if somebody does go over it with a fine tooth comb and reveals a long list of items, you will need to go thro that list and agree which are ones that need action as part of the contract and which are not, but you may chose to have carried out as extra work with additional monies.

Hopefully your shop will see the benefit to them of getting a good inspection done, especially if there is somesort of warranty being issued as well. It gives everybody a baseline from which to work.

I spend a huge part of my professional life inspectioning contractors work for compliance with contract information, all on behalf of Clients. Sure we disagree often about these snags and what is contract work and what is 'extra' but the whole process is to ensure that the Client is getting what he has purchased and the Contractor is being paid for the work that has been done.
    When the project cost is £100M + (thats 170M+) 'disagreements' can be an understatement.

The same applies to getting your car, you have purchased something from the shop, you as an individual cannot verify that the work has been done so you are getting some one who can to do the checking.

Simple, clear and good for both parties. If the shop has a problem with that then I'd assume they are unsure about the work they have carried out and feel that this will be uncovered by a detailed inspection.

I'd go to theshop with the following, the name of the person who you would like to get to check the car, the contract so that person knows what was expected.

I'd then make up a detailed list of the tasks to be undertaken in this PPI and show it to the shop before hand. This gives them an oppportunity to comment and to 'correct' certain areas before the inspection takes place.

You could also do your own inpection before hand without the shop and the expert to ensure you know what you think of the work. If the shop is reasonable they should let you do this without pressure.

Again if not them they may know something about the car that they are not happy about..

Keep us posted.

Thanks guys for the words of advice. I think that both of us have been VERY reasonable through the process. Given where it started, it had to be. I perfectly expect that a 30 yr old car, even through its been completely restored will still have bugs/issues of some sort. I'm really only concerned about major ones. I think Silver sort of bottom lined it above "It gives everybody a baseline from which to work."

No attorneys wanted nor needed. As I've mentioned before, I've been quite happy w/thequality of the work (that I can see). It's the stuff I can't see I'd like to have someone validate.

PS - Larry - not sure it was cajones as much as ignorance. Believe me, the guys on this BBoard talked me though it, big time.

The result is that a '73 S Coupe, #1100 has almost been ressurected from part's car status by some ignorance, lots of passion, help from this gruppe, and (thank god) increasing values that made it economically viable (sort of). Thanks again and as soon as I get it on the road (Hey Charlie - Skyline baby) I'll snap some pics.
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

"Holding final payment (contingent on inspection) simply gives you some leverage"

Agreed. & silver911 has good advice. I'm assuming the contract is in writing - I sure hope so.

You want to reach a reasonable accord with the shop and vice versa. I'd not argue over disputes at first, just list themn all and agree that they are in fact disputed. Then take that list and see what the two parties can work out. Emphasize the long term nature of your relationship (i.e. future work) and don't be unreasoanble.

You definitely do not want attorneys to get involved if it can be helped -- that will be more than the value of the car.

To be clear, there currently are NO disputes. I have a contract in writing. All I'm asking for is verification the work (mostly mechanical) was done 'properly'. Thats all.

Cosmetic stuff we've gone back and forth on and are both happy. I'm simply looking to make sure the rebuilds of the engine, trans, braking system and suspension are correct.

Anyway, thanks all for the advice. Assume all is cool unless you hear otherwise. I want this to end on a good note for all concerned and hope to run with the pack ASAP.

Come on Charlie from Montara, where are you? "Let's drive these Pigs!"
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars:

This is 'Born2BFast,' right?

I'm hoping it works out for you, but I'd advise having it gone over very carefully, whether or not it's part of your payment/delivery agreement.

Yup! Guess why I'm bringing this up. Thanks Jack.
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars:

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    This is interesting. You hire Mechanic #1 to restore your car but plan to take the car to Mechanic #2 for a PPI. Let's say that Mechanic #1 finds that only mildly insulting and with no check in his hand after 12 months of work from his shop releases your car to go to Mechanic #2. Mechanic #2 then tells you that Mechanic #1's work is not correct. So you return to Mechanic #1 and present him with Mechanic #2's findings. Now, what if Mechanic #1 tells you Mechanic #2 is wrong, that your car is right. I must ask you the following question because I was born without a wrenching chromosome (but I trust my mechanic 150% and would never spend a dime in his shop if I didn't)--

How will you know which Mechanic is telling the truth about the true mechanical condition of your car?

On the plus side, you don't have to worry about any long term relationship stuff getting in the way because why would you go back to a mechanic whose work you need to check with another mechanic?
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

I should stay out of this...but,

there was a solicitation for opinions. I must premise this post with the fact that I was one of this boards members that warned yopurp away from doing business with this shop...after the first check was written.

The full history of yopurp's restoration project was not offered in this thread. You must appreciate this restoration shops reputation and the negotiations at the beginning of this project that, not only allowed the project to continue, but further defined the expectations between the customer and shop owner. To yopurps defense, I feel he structured the deal quite well.

With that in mind. (and for this particular instance) A third party inspection is not a wild card thrown in at the last minute of this deal. Performing a third party final inspection at this point should not be viewed as an insult to the restoration shop. It will only provide identification of remaining issues with car. Both parties can agree to responsibility of the items on the list and close the deal without the expense of "Dewey, Cheatem, & How, Attorneys at Law."

Whew, done. Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399