Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: San Fran: Good early car Mechanic Referral needed

San Fran: Good early car Mechanic Referral needed

Guys,

I need a referral for someone in the city (if possible). I've got a few guys I know mid-Penninsula, but I'd like to find someone in the city itself (south side preferred). I need a few options.

Thanks,

Chris
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

i always hear good things about The Stable. don't know their exact location.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Cars Dawydiak speciallizes in vintage Porsche sales and bodywork. They would likely know a good mechanic in the City. Call 415-928-2277.
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

Charlie,

Thanks. Yeah, I thought of them too. I ended up getting my guy from MtnView to drive up and do the PPI at the Born2BFast shop. Long story. Anyway, I'll plug him later.

BTW- hopefully the car will be home by Friday evening. I was thinking that you and I need to hit Skyline this weekend assuming all goes well.
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars:

Question AND !?!?!?!

And...Chris, how did the PPI go?!?!?!
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Sorry, not from SF, so I have no wrench recommendations - just hoping Chris takes a digital camera with him on the maiden voyage!

I'll crack open a Friday evening "pop" in your honor!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Oooh, fresh restoration...

I am sooo happy to hear that the whole deal is finally near completion.

Without starting a disagreement about proper engine break-in procedure, I would like to remind Chris to observe correct new motor ethics during the first few hundred miles.

Remember, as great as the first days ride will be...it will be getting better from then on.

Snowbound, Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

The Stable

Edit...sorry didn't see your south side request, he's pretty central within the city, on Franklin at Pine...

Alan is one of the most knowledgable air cooled porsche guys in SF. Services early drivers on up to building and maintaining vintage racers, 356 and 911s,

He usually has a handful of early cars in the shop to drool on as well, heck his in-shop engine mover is a restored Porsche Tractor! Can't get much earlier than that...

More on this required...

I would like to keep yopurp's thread alive. All reputable shops in the city and south bay area are good info for me and others. It is very difficult to find PPI guys from MY location.

Web sites are nice, but any sort of contact info is helpfull. Great to hear about the good guys that may travel to inspect.

SHawn.

Oh, and Chris is driving this (insert goofy dance) weekend..whoo hooo.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Jared & Shawn - thanks, but don't jinx it. My expectations on when I'd have my car have been set and reset so many times I'm afraid to hope. However, barring any unforseen problems (PPI is on Thursday), I think the car came out great.

JB - thanks for the word on the Stable. I've heard of him before, but I believe he's had some sort of running fued with Wayne. I can't tell if its just close competition for 25 years, or something else but figured it best to not put the two of them together (I need an objective view on the car, not axe grinding if you know what i mean).

As for a good guy on the mid-penninsular, I highly recommend David Modderman, at Modderman Service. www.modderman.com

David took care of my 993 beautifully, and was originally recommended by the service manager at Carlsen Porsche, one of the biggest and oldest Porsche dealers in the Bay Area. David is also the suspension guy for Dick Barber's ALMS team.

I recommended David to John Hauslett at West Coast Autosport and know that John's been using Dave for PPI's and some repairs on early cars and has been happy with the attention to detail.

I'm ending up paying David's drive time on top of a normal PPI charge to do the inspection, so you know I'm putting my own money behind my recommendation.

Anyway, I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes. As always, if I can help anyone on the board by looking at or driving a car you want to buy from a distance, let me know. I live on the mid-penninsula (near Palo Alto/Stanford U) and work in downtown SF so anything in between is pretty easy for me. I'm a PCA member in GGR as well.

I've had so much valuable advice from the guys on this bboard, I need to pay it back.
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars: