Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: San Fran: Good early car Mechanic Referral needed

Sorry Chris,

My car is currently sitting in the garage with its rear end in the air and an empty engine bay. The new engine, a '78 3.0 with Webers and SSI's is almost ready to install. I have little spare time to work on it, but I expect to be driving the car in early March. We'll hit Skyline soon enough.
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

charlie! me too!

charlie,

I was up at tim benson's shop here in santa cruz yesterday. he's checking out this engine to be installed into my early coupe.

it's a 3.0 w/ webers aluminum clutch etc. valve adjust was done and so far everything looks OK

should be on the rd some time next week.... or soon at least

born2bfast

OK, so I just spent the last hour trying to piece this saga together in reverse.

I really hope the PPI goes well. wayne really helped me out last year on an ebay deal gone bad. I'd bought a real turd from uncle so and so.

I was real happy w/ the work born2bfast did and their prices. I've not had them do any engine work though.

the cars they paint come out looking better than new! Luis ( the body guy) really does some nice work.

paul

Paul,

Good to know you've had a good experience with Wayne. Most of the bad one's that I was able to actually track down to the person who had first hand bad experiences with Wayne (before I started the project) all had to do with them feeling he'd mis-represented parts on eBay or at a swap meet. So, if he helped you out of an eBay mess, maybe there is such thing as karma.

Luis is great at the body work. I just hope to get the car out of there before it gets scratched again. Luis gets more pissed off than I do. I like that.
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

Chris -

Jim Capps is the wrench at Dawydiak; factory trained, and he used to work over at S-Car-Go in San Rafael. Does good work, lots of attention to the little stuff, but sloooow. Also a Ferrari mechanic. Dawydiak also does great bodywork.

Albert at AVR on Ellis in San Francisco is a good place for routine maintenance, but not for anything major. He has been working on cars like ours since they were new, and he's a traditionalist (not an R-gruppe candidate); a very "European" experience -- if he likes you he'll make you an espresso. If he really likes you, you might get a shot of schnapps.

Alan at the Stable on Pine in the city absolutely knows his stuff, but his shop is the busiest of the three by far which means your car may not get the attention you want it to. Also, his business is mainly newer cars, and I got the sense he couldn't spend the time on early cars that you might want him to.

Rich
    Rich
    1973 911S #9113300212
    Early S Registry #458

Rich,

I'll check out AVR as its close and I like the small shops if they are good. I also like those european experiences as a change of pace.

Thanks for the recommendations.
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars:

Has anyone used Deiter in Palo Alto?
    any thoughts?

Dieter is retired. His son runs the shop now, and I was told they'd sold it to a new owner. Haven't confirmed with Dieter though.
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars:

Dieter is still there; the son runs the business office but Dieter is still working on cars.
    Infact I just took my car there for a tuneup/general going-over when I took it out of storage this year.

any contact info...

for Dieter in Palo Alto? Much appreciated.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399