Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yopurp's Car Ready?

Yopurp's Car Ready?

Chris,

You have indicated on another thread that you will have your silver beast by Friday.....??

On that thread somebody 'asked' if you could perhaps, maybe, pretty please take your digital camera with you when you pick her up....

Well, can 'we' make that a formal request? After all its been the most tantalising car stroy for a while and most of us are dying to see her free from the shop.

I take it that the PPI/B2BF discussion was successful?

Seriously tho, I'm really looking forward to seeing how she turns out......

Keep us posted, Please, pretty pleae with sugar on top

Silver (brother),

Glad to know you've been enjoying the epic saga. See the thread on the mechanic for the SF area on latest status.

PPI is set for thurs. I'll let you know how it goes and of course I'll have some pics over the weekend, right after I do the 500 hundred mile break in on Saturday morning (well maybe 150 of it anyway).

Soon grasshopper, soon (keep telling my son that but he keeps looking at me funny saying "I'm NOT a grasshoper daddy!").
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

Originally posted by yopurp
    Soon grasshopper, soon
    Chris:

Some day, I look forward to hearing the whole long, gorey tale. For me, I am counting the days till mine is ready for pickup. Your wait has been longer, but hopefully you will get what you have expected and desired.

Remember, a detailed contract is just to keep the memory sharp, and the honest people honest. You need to depend on the character of the people you are working with. If you feel that you "need" a contract to make any deal work, you should always walk quickly away.

Sounds like you are getting close to a satisfactory conclusion. I look forward to hearing the end of the tail

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Chris, Looking forward to Monday morning already !!!!!!!!!!!!

My son can recognise a 911 on the street already, says 'its Daddy's' if it's silver car or his if its another colour.....looks like life gonna get expensive soon.

Hey, he's only 2, so I think its cool he knows his cars laeady. (says proud father)

All the best with the PPI....

Silver & Larry,

CHEERS!
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars:

OK guys,

Finished the PPI yesterday with Dave Modderman. Other than a page of 'unfinished small stuff' that I already know about (small little things that get done last, half of which were already done last night when I dropped a copy of PPI 'to do' list off with Wayne), we had no "Major" issues.

There are a few that I'd like some advice on. Remember, this isn't and was not intended to be a 'concourse level' restoration, but a driver car (daily).

1 - I have listed on my Factory COA, the USSpec Oil Cooling Line. It runs the length of the passenger side and is particular only to a '73S (did E's have it too?). Anyway, one of the lines has been spliced under the rocker section with some kind of pressurized tubing. The other is the original metal tubing, but it has a bit of a crimp in it at one point. Wayne says its pretty common that these get patched up. Is that true? How hard is it to find a used or OEM replacement? Anyone know the part # for this? This was a detail not specifically called out in the contract, so I'm guessing I'm sort of stuck with a compromise for the time being.

2 - Tube holes from the AC (removed) on the passenger side wall in the engine bay left open. We don't get snow here, but it does rain pretty hard. Ideally I was thinking of some rubber plugs, but not sure how to find the right fit. I'd hate to re-do sheet metal at this point. What's the best way to deal with those?

3 - Turn signals in the Tach - when you move the turn signal nob to indicate either right or left, both arrows in the Tach light up. Wayne says this is common and that its caused by a separation piece inside the tach that sits between the two light bulbs that comes loose. True, or is it wired wrong? All the other electrical works perfectly except the brake light for the hand brake. How hard is that to fix? Internal to the gauge or a light in the back?

4 - Stainless Steel Muffler is bent - I knew it wasn't new and had a fist sized dent in it. The dent was cut out and rewelded (still looks good). However, it appears it was bent a bit more so that one side sits really close to the chain tensioners. Choices are as follows (zero cash options) - replace with stock non-ssi muffler (used), or a small Rube-Goldberg (sp?) special - if we add an additional gasget or short flange on the bent side where it mounts to the header, it would straighten out how it sits with enough room between the muffler and engine, as well as the rear fenders. I know it's a hack, but the SS looks great from the exterior.

5 - Wind deflector for the Sunroof - it has 4 or 5 plastic sliders that mount on the outside edge. They allow the moveable roof piece to slide closed. The plastic is missing on a couple of them. This is minor, but I don't want to wait for Wayne to find another one. Anyone know a good source ? Can I get a factory replacement? Anyone have a part #?

Other than that, everything else seems to be good. Time will tell, but thats always the case. Anyway, Wayne and I have gone through the list. He's addressing #1, 2, & 4 (not sure how yet - need advice). #3 is a toss up, and #5 I'll go deal with on my own.

All in all, the car looks and seems great. Considering what we started with, I'm sure from a Time & Materials standpoint I'm ahead of Wayne. That said, I want to make sure the big items are done. Thanks for the support and advice (past and future).
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars:

Chris,

I am definately excited for you. If I read the parts book correctly there are four pieces called 'protective strips' and the P/N is 901.564.433.05 I just searched Pelican and they have them for $4 each.

Try this link

Protective strips of the sunroof
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

1 - I have listed on my Factory COA, the USSpec Oil Cooling Line. It runs the length of the passenger side and is particular only to a '73S (did E's have it too?). Anyway, one of the lines has been spliced under the rocker section with some kind of pressurized tubing. The other is the original metal tubing, but it has a bit of a crimp in it at one point. Wayne says its pretty common that these get patched up. Is that true? How hard is it to find a used or OEM replacement? Anyone know the part # for this? This was a detail not specifically called out in the contract, so I'm guessing I'm sort of stuck with a compromise for the time being.
    Chris:

I can only respond to this as it relates to the work being done on my car. My 73 "E" didn't come with an oil cooler, but we decided to add one. Found a brass tube cooler, and he looked for the oil tubes. The tubes he found are in good shape, a bit pricier than I wanted ($500) but have no dents, patches or mends. This is the long tube that runs along the passenger side. I understand that this was standard on the "S" but optional on the "E". I don't know how common it is to have these patched, but the two cars I am familiar with that had them added, one was a semi track car, and the other mine, have single piece units.

Since my wrench didn't have a hard time finding the one for my car, I assume complete units are out there. How typical a "patch job" is . . . . I can't say.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Fry,

I hadn't gotten around to Pelican yet. You are a stud for finding it for me. Those are exactly it. I'll get some and let you know.

Larry,

Thanks for the info. $500 isn't small change (yikes).
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars:

Thanks for the info. $500 isn't small change (yikes).
    Chris:
    When we discussed the oil cooler, we targeted it at $1,000 total. The reality was -- brass tube cooler $375, tubes $500, now we still have the small tubes at the front and the rear, plus his labor. . . . . . . Uhhhh, guess we are going to miss the $1,000 mark. Hope that it isn't by too much

Just curiosity - did your price rise significantly as they worked on your car? Considering where you started, how did you and the shop determine the end budget? Now that you are nearly done, were they close?

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC