Hi, I've been lurking here for awhile now. Finally found a reason to post. I've been looking for a 911 for awhile, and I have found 2 that are somewhat close to me and am considering taking a look at. By the way, these cars are both Ts. As much as I'd like it to be an S, my budget decided for me that my first Porsche will be a T... because I really don't want anything other than an early car, specifically a lwb early car (69-73). I also prefer a coupe over a targa, although I would be happy with either. Of the 2 cars described below, what would be the better candidate, pending a PPI of course, but just based on what I'm looking for (more on that below).

the following is based on the currect owners' descriptions.

car #1: 1970 911T coupe - white/black. 39K orig miles. car was sitting for some years. CO bought in 2000 and rebuilt engine, brakes, fuel system, etc. paint/interior is said to be in great shape. it is said to run great. window trim, door handles, probably the horn grilles (i only have a driver side view pic to look at) have been painted black. non-original black mirror(s). headlight trim is painted body color. black cookie cutters. CO claims no rust. asking price is $8750.

car #2: 1972 911T targa - orange/black. 60K ~ 70K original miles (not documented, but CO says based on shape of int/ext, he believs to be accurate). int/ext is in great original condition. has an oil leak. from CO description, it sounds like it loses quite a bit of oil. CO claims no rust. asking price is $9500.

Just to clarify, I'm into original looking / original engine type cars. I'm not as concerned with whether or not the color is original or if it is the original paint. As long as it looks orginal, I will be happy.

Now, my main question... assuming neither are rusty, is it better to get a car that is in tip top mechanical condition, even if some cosmetic changes are desired? Or is the one with the leaky engine a better choice? If I get car #1, I would want to change the appearance ot it and can probably do all the work myself (changing trim peices, door handles, etc.). I would also want to get fuchs for it. So with car #1, there will be some additional expense to get the look I'm after, but I can do that over time. Car #2 is actually the color I want, and the ext/int is in the state I would like it to be, but the leaky engine and lack of a rebuild scares me. Also car #1 is a coupe which is preferred.

Anyway, if anyone can offer some suggestions/advice, please do. I haven't looked at these cars yet, and I would rather look at only one of them because one is 2 hours away and the other is 3 hours away (in opposite directions).

BTW, this post turned out a lot longer than expected. If you have read all of this, you are very patient and I appreciate it.

thanks,
j