Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: E , S & RS performance

Yes, Rick, but do you already know who the owner is?

And, is this another of your "from the ground up" restores? Looks like a beauty!!

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

sliding off topic

Larry,
    We are starting to slide off the original topic, but here is my reply anyway.
    Yes, this was a ground up. The car was from Monoco, then San Francisco, so the car avoided the tin worm pretty much. I didn't remove all the original undercoating. It was 80% still there with no rust under it, so the other 20% I just touched up to leave a little patina. Other than that, every part is either new, or restored to be like new.

Originally posted by yopurp
    Dema Elgin (elgin cams in redwood city california) has developed a modified S Cam grind that is supposed to give you E like torque at lower RPM without giving up the HP peaks in the upper revs. I just put it into my 2.4S rebuild (see other posts). I'll let you know how it goes after breakin, but of course I'll need a stock E volunteer to benchmark with.
    Sounds like a Solex cam. Anyone can confirm this? How does the Solex cams pit against the E and S cams?

Thanks.

BTW, Chris, you got my voicemail?

Sprint.

If you do an engine rebuild

I was wondering . . . . . . .

If you have a 73E, you are starting with a 2.4 MFI engine. If the engine needed a rebuild, how far would you go and still stay "original?"

I was told by someone that even taking it to 2.7 leaves the engine "looking like stock," so what's the difference? I know that everyone, (even me) likes to have more HP and torque.

Would you take it out to the larger displacement? Would you change the cam to something that was more high performance?

How do you think that this would affect the value of an "original" car?

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC