Thread: 11880106 decode

11880106 decode

Can anyone decode this VIN for me? the 8 in the fourth position is trowing me off. My uncle has this car sitting in his garage and I am trying to figure out what it is.
    Jeff

It's a 68 911 Targa or a 68' 911 Coupe with a sporto tranny. It is neither a T, L nor S but a 911 normal I guess you could call it.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Thanks

Is it worth anything more than parts? The motor turns but will not start. It is complete, but has a hard targa window instead of soft. It is a sporto tranny (yuk?) but the car is complete. He will take $3000.

In general I would be very careful buying an early car no matter what the price. You should have someone who is an expert inspect the car for you before you put down any money. It's very easy to get upside down in these early cars.

As far as parts go. The drive train is not that desirable. The only value for parts would be any obscure parts for a resto project that are no longer available and even then they would need to be in restorable condition.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

He'll take $3.000? What a generous guy. Tell your cheap ass Uncle you'll outlive him and end up with it anyway. Your Aunt won't give a rats' ass what happens to it once he's gone. I've seen this too many times. A guy spends a lifetime collecting only to have the wife or family scatter it to the winds. Tell him how you'll lovingly restore it and won't he be pleased and proud to see his "favorite" nephew rebuild something he doesn't give a tinkers damn about in the first place.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111