Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best pre-73 engine for street use?

Best pre-73 engine for street use?

Which do you think is the best engine? (Bear in mind that reliability and longevity are a high priority as it's for street use. Mg case only.)

a) 2.2S

b) 2.4S

c) 2.4S high CR

d) 2.5ST short (but with street sized 36/36 ports, and S cams)

e) 2.5ST long (ditto)

f) 2.7RS

g) 2.7RS high CR

Thumbs up My Vote

Ian,

I now have just under 160,000 miles and almost twenty years on my 2.7 RS spec. engine built from a 73 S core motor. It put out 215hp on the dyno. I have driven it VERY hard and it still runs like a top. I have used Mobil 1 for several years, and YES it does leak a bit. But nothing a little Simple Green and hot water can't keep up with every other month.
    I have been VERY happy with my 2.7 RS spec engine! Hope this helps.

All the best!

Roger Grago
    R Gruppe #27

Shouldn't you include a 2.4E engine? It's often said to be better than a 2.4S for street use. Don't ask me, though, I've never driven either. In fact, I've never driven any of the above, so I won't vote.
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

I'm wondering if the votes aren't reflective of what people have done themselves (would make sense). I think the 2.7RS spec is probably the most common mod on these early cars, no?
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Are you talking about driving your car on the street in stop-and-go traffic? As a daily driver? If so, then the 2.2E and 2.4 E must be considered top candidates. (I love my 2.0 E in daily traffic and recommend it as well.)
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

I agree with the comments above.

IMNSHO a 2.4 E seems to be the nicest all around daily driver. Plenty of torque - affordable - very driveable. The S's like to be wound out (what a problem!) and stop and go just doesn't lend itself too well for that.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

but...

I am not allowed to vote more than once. Would the next viewers please vote for the 2.5 liter short stroke engine!

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Can this thread be anymore BORING?
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

2.7RS w/high compression

The 2.7 has the low end torque that makes around town driving easy, but the high compression gives you that top end stink that makes driving fun.

It'll run on pump gas, too.

EDIT: Having had a daily-driven, high compression 2.4S for the last few years, I have to say that I long for more on the bottom. The car is a little lackluster below 3600 RPM - gotta rev it up to make it move - but from there on up it frickin' rips!! Wouldn't trade the raspy sound for anything ... except a high compression 2.8 short-stroker.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

A sucker is born every minute

I can't believe my Ian Morton ID still draws em in. Unbelieveable, my shameless alter idenity was so transparent that it was easily exposed by that astute judge of character PWD. Amazing that people are so gullible.
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism