Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: colors for dream garage

colors for dream garage

I'm planning on building a garage that will be a dedicated Porsche workshop. It'll have a lift, etc. As this will always have only an early 911 in it, is there a particular color scheme for their shops that Porsche racing always used in those days? Any other suggestions to make the garage look as vintage as the car? Thanks.
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

Not sure about themes for early Porsche racing garages, but I thought this guy from the PP board did quite a job on his:

TT
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

It won't be the prettiest, but going with white is always a good idea. It will brighten things up considerably and also motivate you to keep things clean. White walls, a sealed floor and plenty of lighting all function very well. You can always hang some pic's / posters if you want to spruce it up a bit.

Charlie,

The pictures and video's I've seen of Werks I (the race car shop at
    Porsche) in the day... and it probably still looks the same today - looks like:

White walls, light blue and light gray benches, and a polished red brick floor.....

… of course, lots of guys in different color bib overalls hittin stuff with hammers

... a couple of Nurburgring gold trophy wreaths hanging on the wall wouldn't hurt either.
    … The wreaths were traditionally given to the mechanics

You can't go wrong with white or a very light color on the walls and ceiling…

Also, you can't have too much LIGHT … my 24 x 30 garage is probably smaller then the one you're going to build,
    but even with 720 ft. I have 13 double 4 ft. fluorescents on 3 switches…

I've worked in too many dark dungeon shops in my day… wanted mine to be 'daylight' bright any time I please.

Good luck and Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I don't like the colour red brick for workshop floors, I think it is much too dark -- I recommend light grey. You want the walls to be in brilliant white. I like my benches, tool chests and things to be in Gulf Oil colours.

Ian's right...

WerksI might be red brick... but my 'works' floor is light gray...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I'll agree with the guys who push for as much light as possible...I wish I had more. Light colored walls for their reflective ability makes sense to me.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Why Don't U

Why don't U just hire an Interior Decorator??? She can colour cordinate everything...peerhaps have matching coloured throw pillows and perhaps some nice flower arrangements to top everything off....Yeah or better yet why don't you call the Queer Eye for the Straight Guy....that oughta work just fine!

Whatever happened to just having a garage.....me thinks we have a CA Metrosexula on our hands here boyz!!!
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Ah, leave it to Tabs... What the *&%&^ is a Metrosexula? Settling for "just a garage" is not the American way. If we thought that way, we'd still be paying for stuff with pounds and shillings.

I think I'll go with a checkered black/white floor, grand prix white walls, and Gulf blue/orange trim. But only if you approve, Tabs. Oh, and Tabs, what kinds of flowers would you recommend?
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

And don't forget to paint eh ceiling white too. It reflectws a lot of light.

A metrosexual is a hetero guy that is ok with the concept of homosexuality, not threatened by it, may have friends etc.

It is best to avoid responding to, or referring to tabs. That just eggs him on. Let him kill the tabs character and come back as one of his more reasonable, on-topic alter egos. Valid posts should be responded to, so he will mature into a worthwhile board member.