Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: colors for dream garage

I WILL???

A Metrosexual is an urban guy who is not afraid to embrace his femine side...to get manicures, pedicures, facials etc and to be style conscious in general....

I do think the Black and White Checker Board floor is a bit loud, and might prove difficult to keep up. One of those Granite looking epoxy finishes might be wonderfull. Also I think I would try and find some UNUSAL Porsche prints frame em and hang em. Also don't forget the large screen TV with DVD and a disc of an old Porsche race, with the sound turned up loud. A refrigerator so you don't have to go into the house for a Glass of Wine, German Bier and the chips and dips. A couple of nice leather easy chairs so you can close the door and be in your own little world sitting next to your beloved Porsche. Ahhh to think of your own little refuge from the world...read that as wife and family. Flowers oh...Pansies would do I suppose!
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

there are a number of good surface coatings available for your concrete floor.

Get a fridge for beer (then your buddies will come over when you need them) and to host cool stickers, build a sturdy counter for spreading out your parts and opened books, mount a vise, a paper towel roll holder, and cabinets for all the chemicals and other "stuff"

See this pelican thread for floor covering ideas and keep a clean shop and a show place for your car.

We really only get one room in the house for our interests. We give "them" the rest of the property for putting up with us. Make your room nice...then post pics so the rest of us can enjoy.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Go along with the white walls ceiling etc, although a light grey will stay looking clean longer.

Floor has to be an epoxy resin based product.

either a self leveling thin screed type if you have $$$ or a roller on resin paint.....light grey is the best colour not too show all the dirt but light enough to see those small parts you will inevitably drop.

Some we made earlier....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Another view
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Floor coatings

I did a ton of research on floor coatings (I build factories as part of what I do for a living) and found that just like bodywork the prep work (what a surprise) has more to do with getting a proper finish than most other things.

Adding an aggragate to the coating will allow it to "give" slightly when you drop that metal part occasionaly. Otherwise it can delaminate, bubble or chip. The aggragate also makes it slightly non-skid which is nice if it rains or snows where you live. Maybe you think that a nice super gloss floor looks great, but when you take your first header on a three inch spot of water you'll change your mind. This goes double for those of you who are thinking of ever riding a motorcycle in there!

One last thought. If you are going to be welding, stick to bare concrete. I found out the hard way that epoxy and hot metal don't get along. So much for my $5k floor.

Jol

color

I have been haunting the "oops" pile at Home Depot for months looking for cool colors for my garage project. I have been lucky so far in finding colors very close to the "Peter Max" colors of the 70's. One wall is Viper green, One is signal yellow, one gulf orange, one a light Aubergine. Once I get it all done I will hang a bunch of memorabilia, old magazine ads, dealer posters and such that I have been collecting for years. Haven't decided on the floor yet but I would like B&W checkers either paint or cheap tile so I can replace them easily. I'll post when I'm done.
    David Lucas
    70 911S Targa #9110310111

Now don't tell me Targa that the pattern you have chosen for your floor is a Paw Print pattern.....Big paws all over the place...
    Master of the Buffet

This thread is really timely for me as I'll be buying a warehouse in a couple of months for conversion into a garage. Keep the suggestions coming.
    Thanks!

Jack
    1972 911S- viper green
    1970 914/6- tangerine
    1967 Ferrari 330GTC- oro chiaro

Not a bad Idea!

Tabs ...I like that! Just dunk each paw in a different color and say "Where's Kitty?' That'll work!
    David Lucas
    70 911S Targa #9110310111

If I say "wheres Kitty" my two hotels for fleas just look at me and don't even bother to get up....but if I say, "wheres the R Gruppe" they'll be off and running for half an hour, talking up a storm. So I just don't mention the you know what in their presence.
    Master of the Buffet