Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 67 front bumper opinions needed...

Yeah, now that I think about it - thanks to the other posts - only your state will enforce the front plate law. Other states will care less because the donut patrol doesn't enforce other states' laws.

When I first moved from Oregon to Washington, I didn't run a front Oregon plate. One day a Washington officer saw me coming, checked out the front of my car, switched on his lights and pulled out behind me. He saw my Oregon plate, turned off his lights and looked for better fair.

Don't worry about it and don't deface your car.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

The sad thing here? Front plate laws exist mainly so the meter maid doesn't have to rest her foot on a rear bumper while writing up a parking violation...too far to walk to the rear, you see...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

good turn out...

Thanks for the input gents. I am gonna run with the AK plate on the rear only and create a no damage mountable laminated image for back up...mostly cause that is a cool idea. Thnx Bob.

If I had pristine paint I would recreate the bra pocket window idea that Paul has...we've got some creative folks here! Most law breakers are.

I plan to maintain Alaska residency and registration...so hopefully all the Police and Sheriff Depts will leave me alone.

The lead weights however, are this weekends project.

Thanks again boyz, I would be so dead in the water without the help from this site. Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Plates/Weights

If you are from a one plate state, you only need one plate to travel anywhere in the U.S.A. As long as your vehicle remains registered in the one plate state, that's all you need. Law enforcement has immediate access to which states are one plate states.
    Leave in the bumper weights. It makes a differance that you can feel. If the factory installed them, them leave em!

Re: Plates/Weights

Originally posted by Rick Cabell
    ... leave em!
    I agree with Rick, Shawn. If you aren't racing the car and looking for weight reduction, don't remove them. It does make the car looser.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Strong argument guy's. I always understood the factory's decision for the weights, I just never liked having them on there.

You can talk me into leaving them, but you can't make me like it.

Shawn.

edit: Alaska is a two plate state.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar

Re: 67 front bumper opinions needed...

Originally posted by Shawn
    Sooo, my question is...how do I (period) correctly destroy the original front bumper to mount a license plate and, should I remove the weights? My original thoughts were to leave the weights while the car is only for street use.

It's quite true that many people drive in California without a front plate and without any problems. You would be surprised how far you can go withut a rear plate...

There's a farly elegant solution to mounting a license plate on the front of a classic 911. You should still be able to find a European front plate mount.

The problem with the European mount is that European license plates are long and narrow compared to American plates, and the holes don't line up. Buy a "novelty" plate or even a blank plate at Pep Boys, Wall Mart or whatever, drill holes in it to mount it to the Euro plate bracket, then mount your front license plate to that plate
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Two cents worth

Shawn,
    Two things:
    1) The weights in the front were a failure by the Deutche Jungs to come up with a more funtional way to redistribute more weight in the front of the car. Basically they added extra weight on a sportscar for no reason other than to improve oversteer.
    2) After having my 67 911 restored I was reluctant to drill license plate holes since I wasn't sure whtehr I was going to move the car to Europe with me or stay in the US. I came up with a better idea. The seasoned car dealers tape magnets to to the backs of their dealer plates so they can switch them back and forth from car to car without drilling holes. I have been using a magnet to mount my plate to the back of my car. Haven't had a need to try it on the front yet.

Re: Re: 67 front bumper opinions needed...

Originally posted by NeunElf
    It's quite true that many people drive in California without a front plate and without any problems. You would be surprised how far you can go withut a rear plate...
    The impetus for enforcement of the front plate requirement here in San Diego came from the installation of the infamous "red light cameras" to record infractions on film at busy intersections and mail out tickets to the offenders. No front plate means it is harder to identify the car when your picture is taken. The cop who cited me in my '73 for no front plate told me his whole traffic enforcement department had been directed specifically to crack down on cars with no front plate to increase the effectiveness of these cameras.

TT
    ps- Shawn, the weights in the bumper are cast iron, not lead.
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Illinois is a two plate state. After 7 years of driving my Lexus Coupe without a front plate, I just got my first $25 ticket (in conjunction with a parking ticket no less.)

If you get an antique plate, you don't have to have two plates. You are only required to have one plate mounted. You can, however, put a "fancy" plate on the front with just the car's name on it.

But who would do that? If they can't recognize that it is a Porsche, do I really care what they think?

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC