Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Progress on the 73 VGE

More Progress on the 73 VGE

Hi Guys:

Progress is being made. But the current shots don't show anything dramatic. My wrench is still confident in the end of April date, but I may have thrown a monkey wrench into my own timeframe. I decided to look further for a real, honest to goodness wool houndstooth for the seat inserts.

There isn't any of this available for sale, and I have found a woolen mill that will make up some for me at a reasonable price. But, it is going to take 2 months to get the fabric and then two weeks for Autos Intl to do the seats, and then another week to ship them back. With that schedule, it looks like it is going to be Mid to the end of May. But it will be my fault.

So, here is the latest. The car is now up on a rolling dolly. The door jams have been stripped of all paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Anudda Pic

The trunk is going to get painted, so that the Viper Green is refreshed. The gas tank has been pulled for cleaning and repainting, and the area immediately below the windshield has been stripped.

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Last pic for a while

In the engine compartment, he was just going to clean it up a bit, but the black paint overspray couldn't be cleaned off. That means that he is going to repaint the entire engine compartment. That will look really great - add a couple of hundred bucks to the final cost But, now is the time to do it, while the engine is out. Mike said that the shroud that came with the car was really ratty, so he found another that is really pristine. It should look great. The plan is to have the fan bead blasted and powder coated clear. That should add a nice look to the rear view of the car.

All in all, I am seeing the cost of the car climb a bit more than I had anticipated, but there is no better time to get the trunk cleaned up right - the same with the engine compartment.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

progress

Larry,
    Looks like you have a pretty good solid car to start with.
    How is your guy removing the paint from the body. It looks like a grinder. Its best to remove all exterior pieces from the car, and then go at it. Also,I would remove the wiring from the engine compartment and clean that up and paint it in body color. Don't hurry it or be set on any date. When you rush things at the end, it shows in the finished product.
    As far as the houndstooth fabric, do you have a correct sample? If you are going through all the trouble to have it made, then it must be correct. If it is, have them make a lot more than you need, and sell some to recover your investment. There is a big demand for the correct fabric, and no demand for so so quality.

Larry - I have one decent and one ratty standard seat with houndstooth fabric inserts. Where did you get the material to show to the mill? I actually bought several yards on Ebay that look pretty darn close for $10 and had planned to eventually use that, but might hold off and see if you source this material. Also willing to clip a swatch for you to have matched.

Chris
    Chris
    70 911E
    FA-18C
    R Gruppe #295

Re: progress

Originally posted by Rick Cabell
    Don't hurry it or be set on any date. When you rush things at the end, it shows in the finished product.
    Rick:

Thanks for the comments. I called Mike last week and told him that I didn't think that April was going to work for the seats, and he should take his time. We are both working towards a quality product, not a time.

I know that alot of work that you do is "frame off restore". This was originally just going to be a "good quality repaint." Originally the trunk and engine compartment weren't even in the picture!! I will talk to him about removing everything from the engine compartment before painting it body color.

I think that he has taken all of the exterior stuff off of the car, and is using a grinder on the large areas, then stripper and hand sanding on the smaller areas.

Regarding the fabric, I have a couple of samples of original fabric, and the mill says that they will have no problem duplicating it. This could end up being a nice little side business. Thanks.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Originally posted by FA-18C
    Where did you get the material to show to the mill?
    Chris:
    Thanks, I have gotten samples of unused original houndstooth fabric from a couple of different places, Eric Linden (the Seat Sheriff) and David Nunn from Southbound in the UK.

I expect that it will take 2 months to get the fabric. I told the mill that it needs to be duplicated exactly. He is confident. I have had some interest in this fabric from others on this BBS. I will keep everyone posted with my progress.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Viper

WOW, I am surprised the mill guy is so confident. I'll cross my fingers.
    Oh BTW,don't ever tell a body man to take his time! (that includes me!)

Re: Viper

Originally posted by Rick Cabell
    don't ever tell a body man to take his time! (that includes me!)
    Rick - Give me a small break here

You guys hassled me about an April delivery date, and trying to get it done on schedule, and now you are telling me not to give him too much time!?!?!?!?!?!

Oh well, you just can't win.

But honestly, he has an incentive to get it done. My last progress payment to him is this week. That fulfills our 60% target. Next payment is on delivery. No, I don't think that he will give it the sunshine treatment. But, I will keep you posted.

The mill guy will get my sample this week. He has already agreed that I don't have to pay for it if it doesn't match the sample. Hard to quibble about that kind of deal!! But yes, I am keeping my fingers crossed, too.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Sound like you have a handle on both situations........
    keeep the Porsche faith!