Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sucking Oil up the Vapor Hose - flooding airbox

Thanks guys.

Sherwood - checked th eoil levels and they read right in the middle. If I shine my flashlight down into the oil filler tube, I can see the top of the oil level, right where the neck of the tube hits the oil cooler resevoir. So, its probably only 5-6 inches below the breather hole to the vapor tube. Seems maybe high?

Now I'm wondering if I don't have the right oil dipstick or something. I'm most worried that the oil is not flowing right elsewhere. I think I'll send it to Modderman regardless.

One other thing I realized I forgot to mention. On the back of the Airbox, the hose mount is a T instead of an L. The oil vapor line connects to the left of the T (when looking at the back of box) and the right side had nothing hooked to it. I'd figured it must have been a later style box with some extra hook up for a smog thing or something ('73 owners manual shows only a single hose mount, no T). A small amount of oil was running out of that, so I covered it with tinfoil and a cinch tie till I could figure this out and possibly get a new airbox. Seemed to make the oil suck worse. Is there supposed to be a T with a hose going elsewhere? I can find anywhere for another line to mount to.

Engine has 30 miles on it. How longs it going to take to seat the rings?

BTW - it feels very tight (the whole car feels unbelievable) and fast. Those Elgin ModS cams pull like crazy. Don't worry, I'm not revving it too high yet, although the Tach is totally off, and the Speedo is as well (was working when I left the shop). Hopefully all small stuff, but not what I was hoping for of a 'restored car'.
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

PPI etc.

Hi Chris, just to play devils advocate here...Are you SURE you want to take the car to a different machanic? I think this could really open a can of worms etc. I'm sure B2BF gave you a warranty on the engine rebuild....If it were me, I'd have it towed to their shop in a heart beat, they should be given a chance to correct their own work.

Just my .02....
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Chris,

Sorry to here about your blues… can't wait to see my car's younger brother on the road again…

- The Spedo prob could be the drive is not connected at either or both ends…

- The Tach prob could be the connection at the distributor…

Won't speculate on any internals i.e. - piston rings, oil relief valves, oil pump bypass machining etc… lets hope it's not that serious

- The Air Cleaner prob… (I'm at work and don't have my car or books in front of me …but I'll try)

Your #1100 should be the same as my #1099..

Looking at the engine from the back of the car - you should have:

An Air Cleaner with 3 bungs - 2 on a plastic Tee and one separate small metal one a little towards front from the Tee.

2 medium (approx 15mm. OD) fabric wrapped rubber hoses coming from the LEFT side of engine compartment right where the rear and left side engine seals come together.. One goes to the LEFT side of the Tee, and one goes to the metal bung on the back of the fan shroud.

1 small (approx 8mm.OD) rubber hose coming from right/center of the engine compartment (to the right of the rear engine wiring loom) that goes to the little metal bung forward of the Tee.

1 big (approx 30mm OD) fabric wrapped hose goes to the RIGHT side of the plastic Tee.

- As far as engine break-in goes… there are as many theories as mechanics

- The break-in on my new rebuild was:

500 miles, @ no more then 5000 RPM then oil change and valve adjust - 1500 more miles, @ no more then 6000 RPM then oil change and second valve adjust…

After that... you get to 'rock your world'

Hope any of this helps,
    Good luck bud
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Stacy - thought about that, but its a 30+ mile tow (couple hundred $$). I drained out some oil this AM, and drove the car 8 miles to Dave Modderman. It ran fine, but when I got there, there was another (smaller this time) pool of oil in the airbox, with a small amount of smoke (nothing big). I'm out of town for a few days, and I trust Dave to just make it right.

Chuck - thanks for the info. Having Dave re-check instrument connections. If its the instruments themselves, PA speedo will be in the cards (not sure the condition of them before the car came apart, as I never saw them).

As for the hoses, looks like the box is correct (T), but I'm missing the medium hoses from the left side completely. Dave and I looked at it this morning, and he's going to sort them out.

Also, the Sunroof mechanism stopped working on the way home friday night. It opened and shut at the shop, but stopped on the drive home. Also, the speaker panel in the dash popped off on the freeway from wind coming in?? Looks like the little wax or plastic snaps had cracked (minor thing I think). So, hopefully all just little stuff.

As for taking the car back to Born2BFast, frankly I'd just rather not (unless its something major, for which there is a warranty on the mechanicals). For all this small stuff, it'll take to damn long with them. With David, it'll be done in a few days and done right (had 4 early cars in his shop this am when I showed up unannounced).

Thanks for the tips again. I'll post results Friday when I pick it up (and hopefully a few pics as well). Praying for Sunshine in the meantime.
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars:

and.....

I'm hoping you got all your oil spillages solved w/ simple fixes.

I'm about to throw in the towel on all my cars. I'll just walk everywhere until science improves the solar car. maybe a hydrogen powered bmw.....

paul

Paul,

and I'm just getting into this old car thing.....

and no, I still don't have my car back (still not running). I'm holding off posting more till I've got the details and have discussed them with Born2BFast. It would have cost me $300+ to have the car towed back to them (~45miles). They would have worked on the issues (per the warranty), however I had to wonder.

If they did questionable work the first time, and clearly put used fuel and ignition components of bad quality (out of their parts bin) on a newly rebuilt engine in the first place, what's the value of taking it back to them? To be fair, I've not addressed it completely with them yet (Wayne's been out of town and I've only gotten a vmail from his daughter returned). I will, trust me. More on this when the issue has been vetted fully and fairly.

Right now we are just trying to get the car running well enough to drive on the freeway back to Wayne's shop to address the other issues (more minor in nature). My trust for major issues is very low at this point.
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars:

I'm glad to hear it's nothing major. as I've said before, the 73s coupe in silver gets me all excited. some days I consider selling all my old cars to get one really special one as yours. and on days when I'm trying to maintain and change oil and tires etc on so many cars....

I hope wayne makes it OK in your eyes. I guess if they had all those parts available used and it was not specified which parts would be supplied new..... such extensive work as yours is bound to have bugs that need to be worked out.

I hope you don't get discouraged as I'm sure there will be a few more surprises and I'm still hopeful to get to see your car w/ my own eyes some day.

now I need to get to the driveway and do some major tweeking on my 70 hot rod project. it now has the euro 3.0 w/ webers but it's still not set up just right. drags itself out of the driveway it's so low, webers need a good cleaning, the go throttle linkage needs adjusting as it's not reaching, need an electronic speedo, sender, cable etc etc.

and the yard still needs to be mowed and the dog is stinky and needs to be bathed. thank god it's a warm and lovely day.

paul
    santa cruz
    www.schusterphoto.com