Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally got the Americans on

I never saw those wheels look that good back when they were used on the race cars...great job, looks way cool and very "period correct"...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Thanks everyone!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

that's strange - i like the look and i am not a fan of cars running anything but fuchs. good job!!!
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

They look great - where did you/can I get some ?

Mike
    To ask is to seek denial

That is one bad-ass looking car. I'm supremely jealous over your wheels. Good looking "cubed" (how do you show that on a standard keyboard?)

Keep it up!

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Great look Panzer!

The guy that I just bought my S from has three AMRs. One is cracked though. I'm going to do the same look eventually but in honor of you I solemnly vow to repaint my car from Black back to the original Silver.

By the way what tires are you running on your mags? They almost look 50 series in the pics?

Cheers
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Gburner
    I like the look too. Though hopefully anyone considering a 40 year old magnesium rim knows how unstable they are.

Al Reed had a Pantera polished magnesium Campy that was clear powder coated in his display room a couple years ago. What happens is that under the clear coat the polished magnesium becomes covered in black spider webs from the trapped air rotting the magnesium under the clear coat. The 40 year old magnesium rim is completely porous, clear coating can not stop the magnesium from rotting.

Painting them a solid color would hide or cover most of the rotting magnesium but then with a rim of this type you want to be able to frequently inspect the magnesium finish to detect hairline cracks in the brittle magnesium. The inside air pressure constantly pushing the damp air into the back of the rim is rotting the magnesium rim from inside out just as quickly. This rim has to be one of the top three unsafe rims you could have on Porsche. I like the look, but these fragile wheels are a liability to the potential of the car and more importantly safety of anyone in or around this car when a rim fails.

I like the nostalgic details but I suggest staying with modifications like driving lights, period correct interior details, bumper or valance changes or lexan rear quarter windows that are not safety issues.
    I’ve seen a magnesium VW BRM wheel fail. The 40 year old brittle magnesium had rotted so badly that the rim on impact exploded into a dozen small pieces similar in size and shape to the old clip on wheel weights.
    To me it does not make sense to take risks with 40 year old magnesium rims when similar 40 year old American Racing D spoke Rims are available in aluminum?

Gold Star for the Burner

Good Job Burner....for your safety warning. It would be a diaster to have anyone hurt or killed because of a wheel failure. Especially when it could be avoided. Maybe those wheels would be good for show , but when you wana go put the FUCHS back on.
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

What is PAG doing to counter the problems of Mg wheels on the C-GT? It has Mg wheels.

Wow Mike, you score points for some incredible exaggeration. Especially coming from a guy whos last street/strip race car used 30 year old magnesium gas burners. Yes, Magnesium is not nearly as strong as forged aluminum, but saying that they are bombs waiting to go off is a little over the top. Ralph Nader would be proud.
    I belive the BRM rim failure that you mentioned was precipitated by a roll-over crash at nearly 110 mph. There are many things that fail in that type of crash. But making the leap from a 100+ mph flipping/rolling crash to occasional use on a weekend cruiser 911 is a bit bold.
    For those who are truly interested, yes vintage magnesium wheels can crack easily. As recommended on this board before, they should carefully be checked for cracks before use. Although some people still use them for track use, it probably is not a wise idea. If I ever decide to put my car on a track or autocross course it will certainly be running Fuchs. However, for everyday usage there is no problems.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439