Thread: Removing black paint from chrome/stainless steel/aluminum

Removing black paint from chrome/stainless steel/aluminum

Here are some pics of my recently acquired 911E:

I love everything about this car except that the previous owner blacked out all the chrome trim and the stainless steel Targa bar, as was the fashion in the 80s when he did it.

The PO (my cousin) of a BMW 2002 I own did the same thing. No chrome at all! Why people do this to classic cars is beyond me. So I used "Kleen-Strip Strip-X Stripper" which bubbled up the black paint and the aluminum trim underneath looked nice afterward:

My BMW 2002

What stripping product have you had good experience with? I know 911s have real chrome (bumper guards), stainless steel, and aluminum trim...what product does the job without destroying them? Also, what parts were bright (i.e. not blacked out) on a stock 1971 911E?

I'm just a little nervous using the same cheap, nasty product on my $$$ 911 as on my $3000 BMW.

For the chrome, good old nail polish remover will do it very nicely. It won't even harm painted plastic. Don't ask me how I know. Get the real stuff. Be sure to wear gloves and do it in a WELL ventilated area.

I'm sure someone else was a Wurth or other product to recommend. At least this will get you started around the bumpers and small trim.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Similar Threads

1. Alex Bivens - Aluminum Wheels - Set#2 - "Black Chrome"-Plated
    By larwik in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 11:06 AM
  2. removing paint from fuchs
    By ferry58 in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2009, 05:25 PM
  3. Help: Removing Stainless Trim, Targa Bar
    By Allen Henderson in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 4