Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A 70S gets a new home

Welcome Aboard

Michael:

Congrats. Looks like a beauty. I don't know where you guys stumble on these!! Good luck on the engine. Hope that it is in decent shape after all those years sitting idle.

On the Weltmeister decal. What window was it placed in? I'm having a 73 redone, and the question arises. I had thought it was in the passenger rear quarter window. Yours seems placed in the rear window behind the driver. Am I correct?

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Engine Time

Congrat's Michael,
    You will find no peace until you know what the engine situation. Since the car has been sitting so long, prepare yourself mentally for an engine and MFI overhaul. It will be a combination of shockingly expensive and a labor of love - just like a child. Nothing like the confidence of knowing that your engine is fresh and that you can wind it up to 7k rpm's and hear it sing, knowing that Porsche designed and built it for that.
    Who in their right mind would paint a beutiful silver early 911S black anyway?

Re: Engine Time

Originally posted by gruen911
    Who in their right mind would paint a beutiful silver early 911S black anyway? [/B]
    The same guy that wanted it to look like a 73. Perfectly good gold badging painted black, black flag mirror, rubber bumperettes, painted horn rings and headlight bezels. I'm lucky he didn't paint the glass brightwork!

Going to start on the engine debug tonight. Almost afraid to look.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Re: Welcome Aboard

Originally posted by larry47us
    Michael:

Congrats. Looks like a beauty. I don't know where you guys stumble on these!! Good luck on the engine. Hope that it is in decent shape after all those years sitting idle.

On the Weltmeister decal. What window was it placed in? I'm having a 73 redone, and the question arises. I had thought it was in the passenger rear quarter window. Yours seems placed in the rear window behind the driver. Am I correct?

larry
    That is so cool to see another 'S' that will be brought back to its former glory. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Larry,

The right lower corner of the windshield is the correct location for the World Champion sticker for the '70 and '71 cars. In '72 and '73 it was placed on the right rear quarter glass.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

The Fountain of Knowledge

Brian:

Thanks for the info. Now I can make sure that it gets put on my car correctly.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Larry,

Your decal will be different from mine. I believe it should list the 69, 70, 71 years on it. Brian is right, location for your car is on the rear passenger quarterlight. You know Larry, I started to badger myself for the work I am going to have to invest to get this one running. Then I remembered your early threads when you first purchased your Targa. I reviewed them last night and I didn't feel so bad. You must have stones the size of melons! More power to you Brudda.

Brian, I think I've seen 71's with it on the quarter window also. I thought the 70 was the only one in the lower passenger side corner of the windshield. Anyone else care to chime in?
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Michael... and all

It again makes me wonder if all the message board contributors (hopefully all of you club members) ever look at our/your club's main web site....

The Registry has been selling the Robert Gross repro Welt. decals for years on our/your web site boutique page... all the info of years and placement is there...

http://www.early911sregistry.org/WeltmeisterDecal.html

Come on guys... give-us-a-break-over-here !!!
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

DOOOHHH! Saw the decals but, never looked at the placement instructions. Would have gotten to it since I am going to purchase an entire decal just to cut the 1969 part out and carefully splice it into my original. Anyone want to split the cost with me? 90%/10%? I only need 1 % of the decal. You'd be making 9%.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Originally posted by Chuck Miller
    The Registry has been selling the Robert Gross repro Welt. decals for years on our/your web site boutique page... all the info of years and placement is there...
    Chuck:
    I know that the registry sells the decal, that is where my wrench is going to get it. I gave him this source for this and the Shell air cleaner decal back when we were talking about all the detail of my car.

I just didn't remember the placement information giving different instructions for the different years, and the picture in this thread didn't show the decal in the rear quarter, where I remembered it for my car.

My apologies.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Michael,

It seems to me you'd want decal No. 1, with no years on it, which you already have. It was used starting in Feb of 1970, so you already have the correct decal, and nothing flaked off. I'm going to order a decal for my '70, so I'd like to know where I might be wrong here. I need decal No. 1, right?
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia