Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uncle Zak's

I have personal experience with the guy.

Advertised a 69S injection system on ebay. Per his ad pump had been rebuilt and the throttle bodies were in good shape. Also told me I would get the aircleaner. All advertised as being in bolt on condition; I still remember his ad copy "no more popping".

Bottom line: pump was the right numbers but looked to be stored in a chicken coop (hay and grass) when I got it. The throttle bodies were missing fastener hardware and one of the butterfly arms and linkage. When I cleaned them up you could have thrown a horse through the bushings. The aircleaner despite over 6 months of repeated requests on my part never showed up. So I'd stop by his shop and look real carefully at what he's dumping.

As I posted above, his ebay descriptions seem to be real questionable. Surely there must be more reputable places to get what you need.

Jack
    1972 911S- viper green
    1970 914/6- tangerine
    1967 Ferrari 330GTC- oro chiaro

I got no warm and fuzzy feeling when I talked with him and threw the number away (cell phone!). It's nice to be able to talk with somebody on the phone and figure them out without making eye contact or watching "body english".

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Originally posted by fuegos100
    he's near eugene

'Nuff said to give me a good guess on who he is. If so, momma told me to not say anything bad about anyone. Do you have a street address? If so, somebody PM me...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I don't think he has a real repair shop where he hangs his shingle and has customers. I had his home address and I did consider using that.

I am under the impression that he just buys wrecked or old damaged cars and assembles some from the parts and sells the other parts.

I could be wrong and he might just be listed in the yellow pages. but I had that car I bought from him through three different shops and they all did a lot of head scratching and two proclaimed that the guy needed to go back to porsche 101.

any time you see his shop he's got several 911 there. but I learned that is a poor indicator of anything.

Hey guys : My 2 cents :

I've dealt with Zak for approx. a year or so now and have had many posititive dealings with him. I've sold him parts/engines and have purchased parts from him. He's currently Building a 2.7 for my 73 ..!!! He's always been very nice knowledgable and eager to please.

Before i contacted him i had talked with many pelicanites who have all had good experinces with him/ his motors!

Thanks for all the responses. This engine rebuild arena is a tough one to judge. I now have strong positives and negatives on just about every potential source I've considered including some local reputable Pcar shops. Unfortunately, that brings me full circle to just doing the best subjective evaluation possible.

ps: Fuegos, nice taste in cars !
    http://www.classicvelocity.com
    70 911T Targa
    70 911E
    73 914

If you go flying back through time and you see somebody else flying forward into the future, it's probably best to avoid eye contact....

Keep the geography in mind. It looks like you're a continent away from "Uncle Zak". There must be several good rebuild shops in the Northeast/Midatlantic area.

Jack
    1972 911S- viper green
    1970 914/6- tangerine
    1967 Ferrari 330GTC- oro chiaro

I see that Rick Cabell is not weighing in here and I'm not surprised as he wouldn't blow his own horn. So, I'll say it. I don't know Rick well, but I have done some motor relalted business with him and he is a perfect gentleman. I don't know his exact connection with Porsches, but I think the business where you find him is Porsche related. The thing is, he's on the right coast.

Rick? Are you out there to straighten me out on this?