Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: porsche books

Does anyone know of any books which (besides the manuals) which delve into the genesis/engine development of the porsche flat six?
    Most of the books I have seen are very nice picture books but I havent seen one that talks about how the engine came inot being and its further development.

The Corvair

Porsche was trying to imulate the success that GM was having with their flat six in the Corvair. So just think the next time your driving your 911, your driving a copy of the Corvair!
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Originally posted by tabs52
    Porsche was trying to imulate the success that GM was having with their flat six in the Corvair. So just think the next time your driving your 911, your driving a copy of the Corvair!
    Not true. Dr Porsche invented the rear-engined aircooled layout (Beetle) before the WW2, which was before the corvair. You're not so good in history after all.

Originally posted by scargo70
    Does anyone know of any books which (besides the manuals) which delve into the genesis/engine development of the porsche flat six?
    Most of the books I have seen are very nice picture books but I havent seen one that talks about how the engine came inot being and its further development.
    If I remember correctly - a sketchy proposition after my college experience - The Porsche Book is where you should look. I know there's a lengthy discussion of the 4 Cam and 4 cylinder motors, so it would naturally follow that the flat six is detailed as well. Also, check out The 911 Performance Handbook 2nd Edition by Bruce Anderson ... it's a GREAT resource for getting greasy.

PS: Thanks, Scott. The book in question is Porsche Racing Milestones ...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

IAN PLEZE

Originally posted by Ian Morton
    Not true. Dr Porsche invented the rear-engined aircooled layout (Beetle) before the WW2, which was before the corvair. You're not so good in history after all.
    Ian we are talking about sixes here not fours, if we were talking fours then of course DR Ferdinand would get the credit. But since we are tlaking sixes here it was GM that brought out the aircooled 6 first and not Porsche. It is no long stretch of the imagination that GM saw the sucfcess of the VW fours and said ahhh we can tap into that market as well...but they decided the 4 was too limited for what they needed for the American market so they came up with the six. Then Ralph Nader stepped in and said, "Unsafe at any Speed." and that was it for the Corvair, oh sure it lasted a few more years but it was a dead duck. Ironically GM had by and large solved many of the safety issues of the early cars by the end of production. either that or a 100 lb bag of cement in the trunk would solve them.
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

It doesn't matter whether it's four or six – the principal is still the same.

Anyhow, I'm sure the good old Doctor had already designed the six (and the eight as well) as prototypes before the corvair. I believe he delayed the production because the 356 was selling well.

I'm to get a copy of the development of the 911 engine by Tobias Aichele next weekend.

Porsche 911: Engine History & Development
    Tobias Aichele, Hans Mezger ~ Motorbooks International July, 1999 ~ ISBN: 0760307024 ~ Hardcover

Aichele was the assistant editor in chief "Motor Presse Stuttgart" and has had direct access to the factory and former workers for his books. Forward of his other book is by Ferry Porsche.

His first book was published in 1993 but not translated into english untill years later.
    The Developement book should shed a light on the 911 engine.

By the way, direct compitition to the Porsche cars of 1962-1963 were the Corvette Stingray and the Jaguar E Type. (The 356 was getting a little lone in the tooth). The carrara 4 cam engine was the bench mark for the new 911 engine, 2 litter, 130 HP and far simpler mechanicals.

A quick look at Amazon gets a price of about $20 for this $39 book. Hmmmmm.

Regarding the inventor of the air-cooled horizontal-type engine, I was struck by the similarity of the Porsche engine to a certain airplane engine first used by a couple of bike mechanics in December of 1903. It was designed by their chief bike mechanic back in Ohio and then shipped to Kitty Hawk. Granted, it ain't a Porsche or even a Corvair engine, and it put out all of 12 HP, but the general concept should remind us another engine we know.

http://www.mn1903flyer.us/eng_1903_assy_med.jpg
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia