Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Square weave carpet

You know, thats just what I wanted to hear.
    From what I've read in Morgans Original Porsche and some others they said that almost anything was available, even as you said a color sample .
    I am leaning to the square weave. Really leaning.
    Anyone else want to weigh in, condem me, support me, etc? Go on I can take it.

I've seen SW in an early 911. It's looks smashing! There's your support.

Square Weave

Besides, installing square weave is not like something which can never be undone. Get what you want and enjoy. If you sell later, you can switch the carpet or let a purist do it for you (my approach)
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Originally posted by Soterik
    No!

The square weave carpet was only offered to the best of my knowledge in the 1965 912/911. It certainly was not offered after 1966.

This carpet comes from the 356 era.

Regards , Eric
    1965 Porsche 911s did have square weave carpet, but it was in the trunk! The people compartment had a luxurious "salt and pepper" wool velour. It was black with some silver-gray threads. By the 1966 model year, Porsche was starting to cut costs here and there—I can’t speak to these cars.

As far as I know, the first 912s were 1966 model year cars. Of course they began building them in calendar year 1965.

Jim Alton
    1966 VW Type 2
    1965 Porsche 911
    1958 Porsche 356A

Tom,

Live large. Go with the square weave.
    Cheers,
    Kevin
    RGruppe #004
    "Shoemaker stick to your last,"
    Ferry Porsche

I have done some searching and cannot find a pic of the diff carpets, if anyone has a scan or somthing can you put it up, especialy of the square weave. thanks.
    68' 911
    81' 280zx turbo (for sale)$4500 obo
    96' Honda Prelude
    03' Nissan Altima

I say go with the squareweave if it is what you want. I cannot see an otherwise beautiful car being de-valued by the fact that it had squareweave carpeting which is at least period correct.

{mount soapbox}
    Even for those among us that are sticklers for originality, there are often some concessions made to modern improvements. For example, few of us would want to run motor oil made to original specs, or chain tensioners, or tires, or even wiper blades. Originality is a continuum (IMHO) from museum quality restoration to many of those also among us whose cars are really modern interpretations of the early cars. Vive La Difference !
    {dismount soapbox}.
    http://www.classicvelocity.com
    70 911T Targa
    70 911E
    73 914

If you go flying back through time and you see somebody else flying forward into the future, it's probably best to avoid eye contact....

FWIW, my '66 912 with the 3 gauge dash had square weave carpets on the edges, rubber mats on the floors...purchased as a new car...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Originally posted by 68'911
    I have done some searching and cannot find a pic of the diff carpets, if anyone has a scan or somthing can you put it up, especialy of the square weave. thanks.
    Here's a scan of a sample from Autos international:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Originally posted by 68'911
    Here's the "charcoal" or "salt & pepper" velour from an early 911:
    Attached Images Attached Images