Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: U Can't Make Up History

The R Gruppe is like a bunch of Civil War recreationists, dressing up every weekend and refighting the battles of the CW. There is no real glory in that, that belongs to the ones who really fought the battle. Further the front lines of racing have progressed in the past 30 years, so the Gruppe is still left fighting yesterdays wars.
    and how is this different than a bunch of car guys with perfectly original cars getting together?...

Tabs, are you saying you've become a 996 guy? Or are you just a CW guy in a different uniform?
    David Schultz
    1973 911T 2.7
    R Gruppe #228
    Www.davidschultz-id.com
    www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/turbo_dave

Originally posted by RandyWebb
    "It's no sacrilege ..." to modify a car.

Milt, Can you expand on that? You wouldn't modify old # 1 (the first 356) would you? How about an original RS? original R? original S?

You can see where I'm headed -- the rarity is one thing we think about when considering whether we will alter a work or not.
    "There wouldn't be rules if there weren't exceptions."

Randy, there are mods and then there are mods. Bolt on stuff is free game here. Cutting body work on old #1 would not be my style. I have a pretty much original S. It won't be restored to exactly the way it was delivered. In fact, it won't even be restored, just refurbished. If that seems wrong to you, bring me an early T with a 2.7 RS spec MFI motor, flares, 7's and some decent seats and you can have the S.

Looks like the conversation between Randy and Milt boils down to a basic difference of opinion. The difference is as stark as a democrat and repblican these days. There is very little common ground, but that's fine. That's what makes this bb interesting, but I doubt we will witness any 'conversions' today from one point of view to the other.

Because you didn't ask, I subscribe to the go ahead and modify your car as you wish, but if it is a special limited production car, just don't tamper with the sheet metal so it can be returned to original if needed.

What am I doing!!! I'm responding to a Tabs thread!! Oh I feel so used.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Originally posted by RandyWebb
    Hey Paul,

That orange Tom W. car seems to have fiberglass rear bumpers but with rubber bumper overriders (partly cut off in the pic).

Is that right? I didn't know that was possible(?) Do you know anything about it -- or how to do that?
    The overriders are steel...painted black, with the rubber removed. Looks cool, yes? The bumpers also steel. Part of what I love about Tom's car...it's a "steelie" all the way, and the thought that went into it is just amazing. I've spent a lot of time looking at it, and still discover something each time I see it.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

What a great idea. I've got a pair lingering in the garage right now. Off to the body shop, manana!

Thanks, Paul.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Found Out

Originally posted by Zeke
    You know, tabs is really two different people. One can spell and make a point now and then. The other, his girlfriend, boyfriend, gardener or whomever he lets log on under his name is a blithering idiot. (Sorry to call your compadre an idiot, buddy, but it's so true). The real tabs is quite a sport to let his alter persona come on and make a complete fool of himself, or the both of them.

The master tabs is like a cat playing with a mouse. And the guest writer must realize his/her shortcomings, but over a scotch they must laugh like crazy. They are definately having some fun with all this.

If I was any smarter, I might have originanlly concieved this ruse and had a little fun myself. Let's see.....I wonder who I can get to sit down and finish this........
    Has nobody suspected that Tabby really is a figment of Jack Olsen's imagination?
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Originally posted by Zeke
    You know, tabs is really two different people. One can spell and make a point now and then. The other, his girlfriend, boyfriend, gardener or whomever he lets log on under his name is a blithering idiot.
    Zeke-
    I think this is a function of how many martoonies he's had before he sits down at the computer. Or maybe whether his medication for the bi-polar condition has kicked in or not...

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

"basic difference of opinion"

- I don't think so. I'm not cutting my car either (a "T") -- but I am putting on some CF bumpers to reduce the wt. And it has a 3.2L hotrodded engine (or will have one if I can ever figure out how to get a 901 trans in there). I guess that's "bolt-on."

I think it's great that some are preserving the S and E models. I would scale the modification question by the rarity and importance of the car. My earlier point is that that is what we humans tend to do with almost everything -- paintings, the Hearst Castle, the Taj Mahal, the Pittock mansion in Portland, Ore. -- they all become public or semi-public (gaining some public access even if privately owned) if they are sufficiently rare. Even applies to wilderness areas and rare species of animals...

So, ther eis a very broad question here. 911s are just a manifestation of that general issue.