Thread: occassional grunching of gearbox

joelrkaplan

occassional grunching of gearbox

Noticed overweekend that on my 70T there may be occassional grunching when going into first or reverse. Car has @115k and tranny/box is original and apparently in nice working order, except for this. What should I be on the lookout for? Thanx......

Joel,

The first thing I'd check is the clutch adjustment...

Should be about 1" free-play from both top and bottom of peddal travel

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Chuck is on the money.
    You can also catch a piece of another gear if the shifter is not adjusted correctly. I've witnessed this on 4th to 3rd downshift.
    I don't imagine it's a synchro because you'd be moving to have that one pop up. I also owned a '70 S with a tired 3rd gear synchro. Had to take it slow (which is hard) on the 2nd to 3rd upshift.
    Check your clutch first; it's the easiest to fix and most likely candidate.

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

joelrkaplan

Thumbs up

will do...thnx

FWIW: A friend and I did a complete clutch assembly replacement on my car today. The engine didn't get back in before time to go home but will be in first thing in the morning. I'm doing it at a friends service station.
    New clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, clutch fork, pilot bearing, and new rear main seal. A buddy is helping (or actually doing most of the work!) and has the Porsche tool that makes installing a new rear main seal a breeze.
    We also checked the pump timing and found it to be out about 3-5 degrees. Enough to cause "issues". I suspect that when the new timing chains, gears and Carrera Tensioners were installed that the pump wasn't exactly right on the money to begin with as I know it had a new belt installed. The timing chains swap only exacerbated the problem. It's on the "mark" now.

The last thing I have to do once the engine is back in the car is to install my WEVO coupling. What a nice piece of work this little item turned out to be. I'm pretty excited about the prospects and will pass along my findings. I've already acquired an .06 shifter assembly from a friend and will use it for my donor unit for the full WEVO shifter build up. I'm planning on a classic look shifter vs. the modern one that they build.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

For sure, let us know Tom...

Thinkin about the same deal for mine

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild