Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: !URGENT! $6,900 to rebuild my engine?

Exclamation !URGENT! $6,900 to rebuild my engine?

I got word from the shop today that i will have to spend 6,900 to get the parts so that i wil be able to rebuild my own engine. the price is for pistons an a whole host of other things. any way that seems like a whole lot to spend and then turn around and have ot put it together myself. i was thinking that i should be able to get a good used 2.2 or 2.4 engine for this price but i don't know. HELP!!!

btw the engine with new parts and stuff for the 6,900 would have 170-180 hp.

again what sould i do?
    68' 911
    81' 280zx turbo (for sale)$4500 obo
    96' Honda Prelude
    03' Nissan Altima

I can't tell you if you got a good deal or not. Did you try costitng the parts at Pelican or some other place to see what they would charge you? Does the cost include machine work?

Some things to consider. My basic cost in parts to do a top-end only was $1,200 plus machine work. If I needed new jugs, add another $2,000. Carrera tensioners and idlers Add $500. This is for return to stock not a performance bump. If I bumped performance, add cams, carbs (I have CIS right now), etc.

Get a detailed list and shop around.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

I am having an engine built right now. If I subtract labor, tax, a new case, SSIs, Sport Muffler, having all parts balanced, regrinding cams to E spec, and a few minor things, it brings the cost down to $8,500. The 2.7RS pistons are very expensive at $2k. It also will have a turbo As you can see, my price after subtracting a lot of extras is quickly approaching yours. There is no doubt that parts and machine work is expensive on these cars. That's why many people go for engine swaps.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Correction - it will have a turbo oil pump, NOT a turbo. Got distracted watching Speed review the GT3. OMG what a car.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

engine rebuild...

My cars PO provided a reciept for a complete 2.0 liter engine rebuild to factory specs., weber carb rebuild, new clutch, trans synros and first gear set to the tune of $12,000. This work was performed in April 2002.

$4935 parts
    $5700 labor
    $1110 machine work
    $ 394 tax

HTH, Shawn.

edit: to include cost breakdown

Oh, and my cars engine leaks oil.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

And when you factor in the dollar decline against the euro?
    But this is nothing new...Porsche has always had an interesting pricing philosophy:
    When the dollar gained against the German Mark, Porsche and parts prices went up.
    When the dollar lost against the German Mark, Porsche and parts prices went up.
    We all like consistancy in our lives, right?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

the prob is i will be the one actually rebuilding it, actually it's not a problem cause i enjoy working on cars
    68' 911
    96' Honda Prelude
    03' Nissan Altima

If it makes you feel any better (which it probably won't) I just talked with Walt at Competition Engineering yesterday and he gave me the estimate to do all the machine work on my 2.2S. Things like an oil system upgrade, recond. rods, balancing, bearings, etc. and it will be $2650.00 for the total rebuild. I also bought a new set of P/C from Pelican at around $2000. So with labor and other things like reconditioning the heads my bill should be around $7500 to $8000, which maybe low.

It is a numbers matching case or I would be very tempted to look for a done engine. You could do the same, but a qualilty, no issues engine is not real easy to find either. How long are you going to keep the car? That may influence your decision also.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I don't know if i can afford to keep it anymore because of the $, i guess it depend on how much $ I could get forthe car after it is done, I mean I'm not giong to take a loss of 3 or 4 thousand. i really don't know what i'll end up doing.
    68' 911
    96' Honda Prelude
    03' Nissan Altima

Shawn if you EVER sell your 67 for your elusive 2.2 can I get first dibs?

Please? I'll beg..I'll crawl..
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586