Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More Progress on the 73 VGE

Just some additional info on paint removal and prep.

I'm retired now from many years in the resto biz. I owned a shop specializing in Porsche but we did our fair share of Jaguar and MB work too. Our prefered method of stripping was soda blast if the car had one coat of paint. While it is the gentlest process (easy on the metal) it can be very slow depending on the paint type and thickness. Hence it can get very expensive. More aggresive is plastic media. Sand blasting is great for the underside, but you need to have a very man running the blaster our you'll end up with warped panels from the heat generated. Pressure and angle of attack are crucial. And that good many can get paint off in a hurry. These methods result in a uniform surface that give paint something to bite to. I agree with Rick on chemical strippers in general. Not only are they nasty but the brush applied variety are messy, very slow and can leave residue in crevases that will come back to bite you under the paint and body work. You must be meticulous in clean up and I recommend using these only for small areas or parts you can remove. Back in the day there was a company called Redi-Strip who offered full body shell dipping chemical paint stripping. I used them several times. Not sure if they still around as I hear that the EPA shut them down. They had a neutralizing solution tank to dip the body shell into after the stripper did it's work. I had great long term results from them and you got back a virgin body to work with. It even left the original sheet steel stencils in tact. Soda blasting gives you a surface very close to what the factory had when they put the first paint on your car.
    A distant last is mechanical stripping via abrasive disc. This we used only when there was extensive body work on that panel. I know, I know, any yahoo with a DA can strip paint off a fender but as Rick said you run the risk of warping the panel and you are greatly altering the metal surface. Bondo and filler/primers like those 80 grit surfaces though. But primer doesn't and you end up doing a lot of sanding to get a nice surface. We used soda even in rolling cars that were not getting a bare shell resto. I have enclosed photos of my own 73S as evidence of its effectivness. You leave the glass in they duct tape the hellout of any opening including all glass. Obviously remove the motor and as much trim as you can. After the blaster is done you can pull the glass and strip the border stipes left from the tape by any method you choose. My own car (pictured) was a one owner,60k, original paint with a perfect body so it made sense to preserve the original metal as much as possible and it didn't need any body work only blocking. We even left the jambs, engine bay and trunk original paint to do what we termed a sympathetic restoration. This is not always possible, especially in a color change, so it can get more complex. I'm just showing how it can be used for a simple repaint. There is some soda residue to clean and it does get into a lot of places but baking soda is so benign compared to any other abrasive media and it is water soluble so clean up is super easy.
    Hope this info is helpful.
    Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    scott
    73S
    73E

another view of the soda blsted 73S

Here is another shot of my 73S after soda blasting. Notice the untouched metal surface. You will make your painter very happy if you present him with a nice surface like that it make the outcome of your paint job much more assured. Yes that is a 366 Cab inthe back ground insde the shop. It was nearing completion of full resto.
    Oh, and I forget to mention the POR15 issue. It works great as a rust treatment on heavily pitted surfaces. The rougher the better and it actually get harder when it gets wet. So it can actually save a surface rusted floor or at least allow you to put off the floor replacement till later. It is a pain to remove. I never tried painting over it but I'm sure you'd have to etch the surface somehow as it is super smooth. It also deteriorates badly when exposed to UV radiation as I found out the hard way many years ago after leaving a Jaguar XK frame out side of the shop for a week after painting it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    scott
    73S
    73E

Scott,
    Thanks so much for your input.
    How is the soda applied? Shot out of a gun under pressure, or dipped in some type of tank?
    My RS is on a rolling dolly and the chassis is bare, just one part, nothing to tape off.
    The guy I called said $1000 do do the whole car. Does that sound right? Seems reasonable to me.

Scott,
    After reading your post again, I see you recomended soda if there is one coat of paint. Mine has about 3 plus a lttle filler. Do you recomend doing any prep work for the soda man before I bring it to him, or will repeated soda blasting get the job done. The best part is that the car has Zero rust.

Rick;

Soda blasting is a low pressure gun allplied deal. It is really just baking soda powder bought in 50lb bags. If your car is a bare shell it would be easy for your blaster to do. $1000 seems reasonable. Not sure where you are located as that will affect the $$s. My man used to do a fair volume with me so he might have been cutting me some slack pricewise. The job you see in the photos cost $550 6years ago. So if you are having the inside done too $1k seems reasonable. I would think however that soda blasting will be hard pressed to cut through the original undercoating. As regards the muliple coats of paint: If he has quote a fixed price then it shouldn't matter. My only caveate on multicoats was that it would be slow and hence expensive when using soda.
    I especially recommned the soda for a car like an RS. It probably isn't worth having the blaster try to get the Bondo out as that would be cost ineffective. Those repaired areas most likely have aready had the 80 grit treatment anyway and you can get the Bondo out faster your self with a grinder. Then redo you own body work to your standards.
    Good luck, sounds like neat project.
    Scott
    scott
    73S
    73E

Thanks again.
    It's a series 2 car, so no undercoat anyway!