Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: shift lever color

Late comeback..

I was asleep during the beginning of this thread.
    Chrome was used in all 901 gearboxes, 65-71 +.
    I have seen some earlier 72 cars with a 915 box with a chrome lever. I think they might have used up the chrome ones untill they were gone. Most chrome levers,(at least the ones I have seen) get pitted due to the quick dip chrome process on the early 911 chrome. I checked with Porsche for new chrome levers and struck out. So I send them out to be refinished. The first one that went out about 15 years ago came back looking like a piece of jewelry. Priced like jewelry too ! $170 !!
    The above poster is not crazy if he says his 72 has a chrome lever. He is correct. Bet it's a lower VIN number.

Once again confusion reins in my mind. The 5-speed knob I have is 901.424.014.00 and the 4-speed is 901.424.013.00. Were the 4-speed knobs chrome instead of black plastic? Is there an alternate part # for the chrome knob? Thanks.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Brian. I don't think there ever was a chrome knob 4 sp. or 5 sp., they are all black plastic, the previous posts are refering to the lever not the shift knob. I am sure you'll have great fun shifting through the gears on your "new" 2.2S. BTW does your RS give you that loud growl and rush of power at about 5300 RPM like a 2.2S?

Re: Gear Shift lever

Originally posted by WHCJr72S
    I just checked my 72S' gear shift lever and it is chrome. I have owned the car since 1979 and I have all of the records. My emergancy brake handle is black.
    The car was made in February, 1972.
    Mine, #1556 of 1750...made in July of '72...so Rick's theory of using up the chrome levers, then going to black makes sense.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

In the words of Homer Simpson, Doh! Doh! Yes, lever does mean lever and does not mean knob. Thanks for the correction Rudy. I have never seen a chrome shift lever though.

In the RS the power seems to come on at a lower RPM than the 2.2S. I notice it coming on around 4000 and it pulls really well up through 6K to 6500. The 2.2 revs so much faster than the RS.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

My cars serial number is 9112300518
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

OK, we have now determined that the shift lever went from chrome to black somewhere in between Chassis 518 and 1556.
    I bet we could narrow that down pretty close with some more input. I know some 72 owners of E's and T's. More reports later.

My '72S #520 originally came with a chrome shift lever (now in storage). The '73 updated shifter that is in it now is satin black.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Ok, we are narrowing it down. Between 520 and 1556 !
    Randy, you only helped us out by two cars!

Yes, I know!! That's the closest S I've heard of to mine. I think that qualifys as a verification of what WHC JR. reported!
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187