Thread: fast car vs. slow car

fast car vs. slow car

After getting into my friends 2.7 rs and feeling the torque and such. Its a controling of the power. On the other hand driving a small displacement (2.0 or2.2) car its a whole different kind of fun.

I hear-ya Raspy,

At last years R-Gruppe event in Monterey, I had the honor and privilege of driving Stephen Childs's 906 motored '68 T/R for four glorious days.

Since December I've been driving my own 2.4-S new 2.7 RS rebuild ... and there is definitely a different 'music' and 'poetry' in the two... but a beautiful music and poetry in both to be sure...

I would say that you REALLY had to keep the 2 liter 'on the pipe' ALL the time ... but boy would it pay you back... With mine, the new torque is phenomenal ... I'm finding myself up a gear in almost all situations from the 2.4-S ... much more forgiving ... and boy are you going fast!!!

One more thing...

As I've said before, IMHO... if there is one car that has the quintessential sound of the 'early 911' it's Stephen's T/R ... If you could professionally mike the sound through the whole RPM range of the 46mm Webers w/just hats and the open 'rally' exhaust... you would have a CD that I would have to fight to be the first in line to buy... WOW

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

T/R music...

Chuck,
    Do you know if Stephen Childs will be bringing the Italian RS or the '68 T/R??

Mike,

I beleive Stephen will be bringing the T/R to both Rennsport and R-Gruppe in Monterey...

Man, he's puttin the miles on that motorhome!!!

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I can't wait to hear it Chuck.

And as far as fast vs. slow cars, growing up a friend had a bug eye Sprite that was about as much fun as you could have on a public road. You could drive flat out almost anywhere and you weren't going THAT fast. On the other hand there are times in the 911 that little voice in my head is telling me "if anything goes wrong, you're in deep sh!t". MPH wise the "fun zone" is a lot higher than it was in the Sprite or Mini days.

Jim,
    I know what you mean...

From '69 - '74 I had a '59 Alfa roadster that I could pretty much drive flat on the edge all the time...
    Then for about the next 18 years it was a hot-rod '67 bug (set up for the hills) ... and the same thing.

Then the day came back in '89 when I got my '73-S ... I'm cool, been squeezin on cars up in the hills for 20 years... right?

WRONG!!!!

I almost killed myself on the second turn I ever took in it!!!!...

I realized then and there ... THIS was gona be a whole different deal....

That was 15 years ago ... and I'm still learnin... in fact with the new motor, I'm learnin all over again...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

The other problem with a 911 is when you are in the "fun zone" not only are you in deep sh*t if anything goes wrong, you will also get handcuffed if you get caught, a least with a Sprite or a slower car you won"t get thrown in jail by taking the car to the limits.

Who was it that said it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow?