Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't see a thing

can't see a thing

OK, while were all busy discussing originality vs mods...

those little round side view mirrors do about nothing for me. I'm really tired of twisting my neck around 5 times before I switch lanes b/c I get about no help from the mirrors.

is there a tasteful swap that is period correct and will mount in the same location? or should I resort to a adhesive backed convex blind spot mirror to stick over that existing flat mirror?

and I don't like those flag mirrors from the 80's looking cars.

paul schuster

Paul,

Not sure of what year car you have but...

I have one of those small rectangle mirrors on the drivers side only of my '73...

Man, I'm with you!.........

So... I did indeed put a small round convex mirror on the extreme outside edge of it... Also, seeing that I have no right side mirror, I put another small round spot on the windshield rear view mirror on the extreme right side edge...

It might look geeky but it REALLY helps!!!
    ... and is not irreversible

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

1974 to 1977 or so had chrome rectangle mirrors that were larger than the 1973 ones. To purists, my car's mirrors might make it look like Dumbo, but I can see what's behind me when it's time to change lanes.

DID WE

Did we ever just consider turning our heads, when making that lane change? Thats what we were taught to do in Drivers Ed, back in the day....when literacy still meant something.
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

I like to do both, but w/o any mirror I find I look over my shoulder many times like I've got some nervous disorder.... but maybe I do.

Jack,

Where did you purchase your mirrors?
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

The driver's side ones are commonly available. The passenger-side ones are harder. I got mine from Partwerks in Chicago, I'm pretty sure. When I slammed it into a tire wall at Fontana, I knocked the glass out of it. It was so difficult finding a replacement (everyone's out of stock on the reproductions) that I bought another $79 driver side one, and had the mirror moved into the old one.

BMW 2002 silver rectangle mirrors are very similar to what we're talking about, I'm told. Many guys use them.

I did the same thing as Jack (74 911 mirror on driver's side & replica mirror from Partwerkes on passenger's side).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jim Richards
    Aubergine 1973 911E Sunroof Coupe w/ 2.7RS MFI
    Early 911S Registry Member #589
    GruppeB #911

I always thought those chrome rectangle mirrors look similar to my 2002's mirrors

next time I find one at the pick and pull I'll grab 'em for the P-car

but I feel like I'm robbing peter to pay paul

Nice 2002 Fuegos! You must have problems deciding which steering wheel to slide behind.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)