Thread: American Racing mag ID markings?

Question American Racing mag ID markings?

What should be on this rim for markings? There is an "SCC" on the inside and the wheel stud holes are lined with steel bushing inserts. That sound right?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Ive never seen the steel bushing inserts, but thoseappear to be the offset that the Porsche Americans came in. The backspacing is approx 4 3/4".
    Where did you find them?
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Yeah, 911 fitment with 4 3/4" backspacing. This stuff just turns up! It's kind of spooky...

If someone needs a spare, let me know.

RGruppe #183

If aluminum they should have "american racing" cast into the interior or the rim right? If mag. no marking but, I believe they used to place a foil decal along the interior of the rim.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

American Racing ID?

They could have been made by Appliance. Possible that the steel inserts for tapered/conical lug nuts were added recently. I know someone that modifies them from the original shank style lug nuts. They also change the B.C. @ the same time. I have some Appliance crows and will check them later. HTH.

I really dont belive that Appliance ever made D spokes for Porsche. They could have however, since they directly copied everything else that American made in that era.
    Out of all the sets of aluminum American Porsche wheels I have had, none of them have said American Racing on the back. These ones are definately aluminum. The magnesium wheels are a totally different casting design primarily evidenced by a snap in cap instead of the 5 ear center cap as seen above. They have a different spoke shape also.
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Ameripliance D spokes??

Hey Dave,
    I need to check all of the aluminum D spokes/crows/crowfeet to see if mine are Appliance or if there are some Americans. I have some alum D spokes with a Chevy 4 3/4" B.C. pattern that has "American Racing Equipment Torque Thrust D" cast into them. (I know... you specified with a Porsche pattern. I should check if the offset/backspace is the same.)
    FWIW, I have some alum T70's with a Porsche B.C. that have "American Racing Equipment Pat. Pending" cast into them.
    I also have some Vectors with a Porsche B.C. that have "American Racing Equipment" cast into them.

Jens,
    I checked some Appliance (I think....) wheels that also have "SCC" cast on the back. Since they don't have the "American Racing Equipment" cast into them, maybe you should send me a PM about selling those alum 'Appliacan' copies to me.... ; )
    I'll try to get pics of the T70's and the Vectors to you (I still need my friend to take some digital pics.).

Dave,
    I'll buy your 'Appliacan' copies, too. ; )

All of my Chevy Americans have had the American Racing script on the back-side. However, all of my Chevy Appliance wheels have had deeply countersunk lug holes which is the main way to identify an Appliance. I have had about 20 of the aluminum wheels and none of them have said American Racing on the back, nor have they had the "Appliance" countersunk holes.

These are such an oddball wheel that I dont think you can compare them with the Domestic car products anyway. After all, both Americans and Appliance wheels typically have a tapered shoulder in the rim area which these Porsche wheels do not...... maybe they are U.S. Mags

I still want to see those T-70s. Never seen those in Porsche pattern!
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Non-Exploding?!

So, it's safe to say these won't 'splode and kill the driver and imperil everyone inside the blast zone? What with them being benign aluminium and all.

They look great.

Hey 6, I have an extra. You want the one?

RGruppe #183

An Extra???

Hey Jens,
    Sounds good! I'll send you a PM.
    Thanks! You are helping my wheel sickness/addiction... besides, who needs Wheelholics Anon, anyways? I actually have it under control... I can quit anytime I want! ; )
    Anyone know of some 16x10, two piece ET III's?