Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hood-mounted rally lights...

Hood-mounted rally lights...

All,
    Been thinking about a pair of those cool, hood-mounted rally lights for the Homemade 911 vintage racer - be good for enduros.

I'm assuming the originals are too pricey (and rare enough) for what my intended application is worth...so, do any of you know of any repro's? and any vendors of same?

Also, do any of you have any experience or ideas concerning any period-correct (authentic looking, anyway) alternatives to the factory units? A pair of round Hellas for example? or Marchals? or Cibies?

anyone? any ideas? I could use some guidance here...looking forward to your collective wisdom. Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Cheers
    Thom Kuby
    '68 911 CP vintage racer

You can get pretty much the same lights new (Cibie Oscars: http://www.cibielights.com/cibie/oscar/oscar.htm ), but they don't have the flat surface on the bottom. Would probably still work pretty well, but they won't sit flush with the hood.

Maybe a rubber mallet?
    David Schultz
    1973 911T 2.7
    R Gruppe #228
    Www.davidschultz-id.com
    www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/turbo_dave

Jens had 2 pair of the hood mounted lights, brought down a set and I made molds of the housings, 6" round, 4" deep without the ring, add 1" for the ring. the perplexing problem was the originals had integral screws similar to H1 or h4's in that the beam was aimable. So the problem is what lens to put in. i left it alone. You bring it back to surface, and I solved the dillema. with a blank front ring, one can mount any 6-5" light inside the cups and get the appearance of the originals. I just waxed the mold, post the results tomorrow.
    Damon @ SERIES 900

Damon,
    I've sent you a couple of PMs regarding the amber watershields you mentioned a couple of weeks ago. Would be interested in prices and photos, please.
    Thanks.
    Jack
    1972 911S- viper green
    1970 914/6- tangerine
    1967 Ferrari 330GTC- oro chiaro

thom , I made up one of the buckets, looks good. I need to work on the ring. After I get the ring done, I can send you both parts and you can look for the right lamp to go inside if you like.

jack, never got notified of pm, you have mail

Damon @ SERIES 900

All,
    Been out on travel...just now checking back in...
    Damon, I'd like to see pics of what you've made up.
    I'll probably need some guidance as to what lamps will work the best.
    Also, are you the same guy who's making the 911R parts? I'm interested in looking over what you've got available...

Cheers
    Thom Kuby

Thom, prototype in two parts, ring and base,amber and green tint
    Attached Images Attached Images  

base measures 3 1/2"deep x 6 1/2" wide, ring measures 1 1/2" wide X 6" internal diameter. overall depth 5" of combined parts.

Damon @ SERIES 900
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Damon,
    You have a PM re: watershields.
    Thanks!
    Jack
    1972 911S- viper green
    1970 914/6- tangerine
    1967 Ferrari 330GTC- oro chiaro

Cibie

Thom,
    An early ad from Christophorus.