Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coil wires / ignitor

Question Coil wires / ignitor

I recently purchased the Ignitor pointless system from Pelican Parts for my 73 911S. The instructions were simple. Red wire to +side of coil and black wire to -side. When I looked at the wires to the coil I found a brown wire connecting the +pos
    side of the coil to the bracket holding the coil in place. The blue/yellow wire was connecting the CD unit to the -neg side of the coil.
    Is this set-up backwards? Shouldnt the -negitive side of the coil have the wire grounding it to the bracket?
    The car runs fine as is, and I don't want to do this installation untill I know I won't fry the wiring.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Phil Guiral
    Laguna Hills
    73 911S
    67 Alfa GTV

I fried the tach on my '73S earlier this year before I figured out how to wire the Ignitor in correctly (actually, Henry at Supertec was kind enough to figure it out for me and walk me through it on the phone).

In CD-equipped cars, the Pertronix unit is not connected to the coil at all. Instead, the red wire coming off the Pertronix is connected to a good 12V source--I have mine hooked to the switched fuse in the engine compartment (the bottom of the three fuses on the driver's side near the distributor). The black wire is then attached to the black wire that used to be attached to the points (I think it's the lead from the CD box). This is also connected to the black wire with the purple stripe (which I think is the lead for the tach).

Please email me directly (jzollinger@perkinscoie.com) if my directions don't make sense. I can try to take some photos if it would help. FWIW, I have been very happy with the Pertronix unit now that it is wired correctly and my tach has been rebuilt.

All correct!

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

When Jeff Gamroth installed my RS dizzy with ignitor, he made things look neater by covering the red wire with a black sleeve...
    Only skilled eyes would know that it's not factory. I'll agree with Jayzoll's post on the wiring. Pertronix should include Porsche wiring tips with the unit, IMHO...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Ignitor

I tried installing the Ignitor yesterday per the instructions given by jayzoll. I also checked with the Ignitor people and they confirmed that jayzoll is correct. (they should include those instructions in the box for Porsche owners).
    Unfortunately the car ran on just two cylinders. The timing is ok, and when I re-installed the points, everything ran fine. I'll try again Saturday. Maybe I'll try a better power source.
    Thanks for all of your help.
    Phil Guiral

Jayzoll's power source is correct. It's power is delivered when the key is on...How do I know this? I asked...
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Pertronix makes 2 units; Well, actually 3 if you count the Ignitor II(9 1867) which none of us need since it's a redundant system to the CD Box according to their tech people. (It will cut itself off in case you leave the key on but that's hardly an issue).
    The 1863 unit is for the early distributors and the 1867 is for the distributors that you can buy today which are superscessions of the old ones according to the numbers on the box. This is what Paul has in his '72 S as supplied by Jeff Gamroth.
    I have a nearly new (week old or so) 1863 that I would like to sell as my new distributor needs a 1867. I was fortunate enough to obtain a new distributor (like Pauls) from Jeff and realized after the fact that I'm up the creek with the 1863. Jeff was unaware of the 1863 so when I told him I had a Pertronix already he said "thas fine".
    Otherwise, this is the most stupid-simple installation I've ever done. You can knock it out in a half hour to 45 minutes, it's that easy.
    One wire to a power source and one to the points spade. Done, kaput, finished.
    Timing and idle smoothness are impeccable. I swear by this piece of equipment. I'll never use points again. I repeat, never again.

Good luck,

Tom

PS: Well, maybe I'll keep a spare distributor already set up just in case.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Tom, I agree with you...that's why I have a perfectly good '72 S dizzy sitting on a shelf as a spare...it uses the "backwards" points, which won't work with pertronix. Thanks for the education on the different pertronix models...

My pleasure, sir. Hooo-weee! Didn't that distributor make it nice? It sure tightened mine up a lot and I'm using the damned points until the Petronix shows up. Best I could do in the car was 36-36.5 on the dwell which is within spec. You really need a distributor machine to make it perfect or at the least, the patience of Job.
    The nice brandy new advance unit is sweet. I can't wait to take the points out.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

With this dizzy, I pull MUCH stronger than with the stock one...most improvement is on the low end, but even at higher revs, my car just seems to pull and pull, and PULL! Almost, but not quite, to the point of eliminating the obvious camshaft "boost" at 5,000 or so. Tom, you gotta agree by now...Jeff knows his "stuff"...