Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new clutch

Bert,
    what problems are you having?

My pivot bolt has broken twice with this car (once with me and the other with the previous owner) so we think that there are some changes in the throw out fork where the bolt fits cauing stress on the bolt ---> to breakage.
    We can see some of the small erosive changes in fork therefore we think the tolerance fit between the bolt and the fork is off. We dont have any firm evidence; just deductive reasoning.

The problems i was having is that the gear changes were very easy and smooth when the car was cold or not fully warmed up; but as soon as it got warm it become almost impossible to get into reverse and first; unless the car was rolling.
    We think this was due to clutch wear since the clutch on removal had significant wear. Strangely I had no slippage. We are changing the fork due to the changes we see in it and the pivot blot.

Cost for the fork: about $450 plus there are none in the states; we are waiting on one from Germany.

Hope this helps.

1970 911T Clutch Problems

Hello scargo,

I've had problems getting the correct clutch adjustment on my 1970 911T with the 901 transmission. Per the Haynes manual, I adjusted the clutch pedal free play to 25 mm. But I find it hard to shift gears at this adjustment. I have to push the clutch in, wait one to two seconds, then shift up to gain a positive clean shift. If I don't wait, then the shift has resistance. I have been shifting carefully to avoid grinding the gears.

The Haynes manual says that the throw out fork should travel 15 mm to completely disengage the clutch. I measured my throw out fork travel to only 11 mm with the clutch pedal free play set at 25 mm. So I adjusted the pedal free play to 10 mm and found the fork travel moved up to 14 mm. But the clutch feels "tight" and it takes more effort to push the clutch in. It just doesn't feel right to me and there must be something wrong if I can't adjust to the factory spec.

I've replaced everything except the TO Fork, but I couldn't find any problems with it when I had the clutch apart. It didn't appear bent or cracked. There was no apparant galling where the fork connects to the pivot bolt. It looks shiny from contact, but no metal has been grinded away. See the attachment for a photo. I can send you more photos via e-mail if that would help.

My pivot bolt has not broken on me yet. I replaced it with the stronger part from Performace Products as cheap insurance when I replaced the clutch. Your geometry must be off to break two pivot bolts. Did you check your flywheel? Has it been grinded down. The factory spec is 8.5 mm minimum.

Did you check stock at Pelican Parts for the TO Fork? They have one listed in their catalog for $404.50.

Do you have photos of your TO Fork?
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

My flywheel is fine...i dont have pictures of my TO fork but when i pick up the car will take a photo and post it here.
    I have checked with Pelican and they do get their part from Porsche so we are waiting for porsche to send a TO fork.

Bert; I didnt see your picture of the TO fork

TO Fork photo

Oops, my attachment didn't work. Can anyone point me to simple directions on how to post a photo on this board?

Thanks,
    Bert Jayasekera
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Re: TO Fork photo

Originally posted by Bert
    Oops, my attachment didn't work. Can anyone point me to simple directions on how to post a photo on this board?
    See this thread.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Wink TO Fork photo - second try

Thanks for your photo help Tom.

I will post a few photos of my T.O. Fork at different angles to show the condition. It doesn't look bent to my untrained eyes.

I would appreciate any posts from other members who have experienced this clutch problem on a 70/71. See my earlier post for the description.

scargo - could you post a photo of your new T.O. fork when you receive it from Germany? We could compare any differences.

Thanks,
    Bert Jayasekera
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

TO Fork photo - Side View

Photo #2
    Bert Jayasekera
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

TO Fork photo - Side View Flipped

Photo #3
    Bert Jayasekera
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

TO Fork photo - Trans View

Photo #4
    Bert Jayasekera
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Bert,
    Grossly your TO fork looks fine; i think if there is a problem with it, it will be the fit between the pivot bolt and the fork. In mine that fit has some play to it and tolerance for the fit is off.
    I will post a picture when it gets here.