Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another '67S reborn

Another '67S reborn

My mechanic called me yesterday and told me I needed to come down to see a car that had just come into his shop. He is not an exciteable guy when it comes to cars, having worked on and driven some pretty exotic Porsches in his time, but he sounded pretty impressed, and he was right on about calling me, because it was another '67S like mine. I grabbed the camera and headed downtown.

On his lift was a metallic blue sunroof coupe model just completing an "every-nut-and-bolt" restoration over the last 17 years by a hobbiest, in his spare time. It had come in on a flat-bed towtruck for an alignment prior to being driven for the first time in all those years. I took some pics and talked to Steve briefly and let him get back to work.

When I got home, I loaded my trusty Registry roster CD into my computer and discovered by its VIN that it belonged to a Registry member named Keith Newby, and that he lived less than 15 miles from me. I had never met Keith, but I called him right up on the phone and spoke with him briefly. He gave me permission to publish the photos I took on the internet, so I have put them up on a webpage at http://members.rennlist.com/tweedt/keith.htm

BE FOREWARNED- this page is heavily image-intensive, so if you don't have a high speed connection, it may take a long time to load on your computer. Be patient or don't click on it!

Keith has a webpage at http://members.cox.net/channel1design/ with a little history of the car, which seems to be an interesting one. He hopes to have it completed by this summer and back on the road.

Enjoy,
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Thanks Tom for those pics.

That is an amazing car so thank you Keith for allowing your great work to be shared.

Its is inspirational.

What a superb restoration. Can't wait to see more pictures. Thanks Tom
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

wow.... that looks better then new.... I can only imagine what that would go for if he ever sold it.... *drool*

If I had one that nice looking you'd have to pry the keys out of my cold dead fingers.....

I have never seen the license plate inset like that before.

An amazing car. Hope it doesn't become a garage and trailer queen, just to keep it clean. Looks like a guaranteed 'best in show'.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Originally posted by RickS
    I have never seen the license plate inset like that before.
    I had one on the '66 "S" (conversion) that I sold several years ago. I think Jack Olsen has one on his car, too. It was an aftermarket fiberglass license panel that was common a long time ago but is NLA, I think. It actually fits over (on top of) the factory piece and "rounds out" the rear end profile, insetting the license plate. See Jack's rear end here.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

Tom,

Wonderful pictures, wish I could see that car in-person.

Any chance that you can post more pics of that car, perhaps , the interior?

Regards, Eric

Originally posted by Soterik
    Any chance that you can post more pics of that car, perhaps , the interior?
    Eric-

That is the plan, but probably not until it is finished. I asked Keith if I could interview him about the project and take some pics for possible publication of the full story later, when he's done. Maybe an article in the Registry newletter? Is Phil still doing it?

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

17 years!!!

Tom:

Great looking car, and great story!! But, Geez, doesn't 17 years put it beyond the 5 year "limit" on restorations that I saw on a listing of the 10 commandments of rebuilding cars? (was that on the RGruppe website?)

I see a labor of love that certainly has come to fruition. After all that time, and that beautiful result, I wonder if it will ever be on the road!!

Can't wait to see more pix.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Re: 17 years!!!

Originally posted by larry47us
    But, Geez, doesn't 17 years put it beyond the 5 year "limit" on restorations that I saw on a listing of the 10 commandments of rebuilding cars?
    Yah, I think it's well beyond that rule, now. But Keith told me at one time he had 5 cars in his driveway and only two of them were running. That's while the garage is full of basketcase motorcycles being restored. I think some other projects intervened to the extent that this one sat for long stretches "in between".

He said he wanted it to be on the road this summer, so if we scientifically project the actual completion date using the factor of 17/5 (to get to here, he took 17 years instead of 5, right?), a more rational finish date might be 17 months from now rather than 5, eh?

I'm keeping in touch with him anyway, since he's so close, and will try to actually produce a more complete story down the line. I know he occasionally at least lurks this board, and I sent him a link to this thread by email, so that he could participate in the discussion himself if he wished.

TT- who took more than 5 years to build my boat, back when...
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!