Thread: oe steering wheels

joelrkaplan

oe steering wheels

to all those in the know: I would like to use the center circular horn button style only, not the traditional bow tie horn set up.......did the early 912's have this center button or was it the very early 911's......does this piece work on all early wheels and are they hard to come by?...thanx again.

yes, yes, and yes...

The 912 had them and most owners with the butterfly style horn (myself included) try to find the early button horn. It is frustrating to get your fingers cought up in the horn "wings" or accidently honk at others.

The last one I saw in ebay was in poor condition and bidding went well over $200!

I reciently (just gave up and) bought a porsche momo horn button and a hub adaptor. Sooo there is a prototipo in my cars future.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

joelrkaplan

Unhappy

yikes...200 clams!

or...

you may be able to make your own by cutting the wings off. Of course, you shouldn't use your original. There is one on ebay right now.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

joelrkaplan
    GoergeK. ...your pic brings a question to mind..what paint did you use to freshen up spokes?.......I believe you used a AGLA DIY leather Kit?....I had them do it and it came back last week.....it was not done to my satisfaction and it is back at AGALA as we sort it out.......I should have paid you to do it!!!!!!!

joelrkaplan
    George..thanks for info.....could you look at the ebay post that Shawn mentioned and tell me if the horn button is complete?....where is the leather horn cover?...must i fab one?, is everything else there?, I can cut off wings as Shawn mentioned, no?.....Shawn...thanks for heads up!

joelrkaplan
    now I understand......hmmmm. Maybe I'll pass, but I'm still tempted....Thanx!

joelrkaplan
    GeorgeK....the way your pic is shown, does the complete horn button/ring fit early 911 wheels w/o any mods?

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar

Re: oe steering wheels

Originally posted by joelrkaplan
    to all those in the know: I would like to use the center circular horn button style only, not the traditional bow tie horn set up.......did the early 912's have this center button or was it the very early 911's......does this piece work on all early wheels and are they hard to come by?...thanx again.
    I think the butterfly horn button was introduced as standard on the 1966 911--it was a $ 5.25 option for a '66 912. As far as I know, no '65s came with the butterfly.

The owner of an earlier '65 than mine tells me that the oldest cars (i.e. his) have a different attachment system for their horn buttons, so it's possible not all round buttons will fit all steering wheels.

Jim Alton
    San Dimas, CA

Can't you use a wheel center cap -- isn't that what the 911R used?