Thread: Heal & Toe

Heal & Toe

I've always enjoyed practicing my heal & toe with other sports cars, but my 73 S has a brake pedal that is too high compaired to a low gas pedal. Any way to raise or lower the pedals?
    Phil Guiral
    73 911S
    67 Alfa GTV

pedals

i have that problem under medium braking but under threshold braking the pedals line up quite well. i dont believe there is any way to adjust the pedals. there is however a "fully adjustable gas pedal" for your car available from rennline.com for $250

admin_old
    I haven't looked for awhile, but I think the rod between the brake pedal and the master cylinder is adjustable. Don't lower the pedal too much or you'll run out of travel when you really have to slow down. Instead, raise the accelerator pedal with added material on top. A fancy aluminum "heel-and-toe" plate does the same thing. Many folks use the side of the foot rather than the heel to blip the throttle, with or without any add-on plates.

Sherwood

you kinda need to twist your foot...

so that the right side (or outside) "ball" of your heel is at the top of the gas pedal while you use the right toe for braking. The differences between early p cars and what you learned to heel toe with will become evident with practice...the early p car set up is optimal in my opinion.

That's just me tho. Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

I also find the 911 has a superb layout for heel & toeing, maybe a change of technique is called for on your part?
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Have you ever tried to heel/toe a ZR-1 Corvette? Absolute misery. My Saturn is easier to heel/toe than that Vette ... although the Saturn's got no balls off the corners.

There are extended-base aluminum gas pedals in some kits, and I think they retail for a couple hundred bones. I say screw that and work with you've got ... it's far more satisfying to be able to heel/toe with stock pedals than it is to heel/toe with a crutch (racecars excluded from previous remarks).
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

My sore toe has healed....thanks. I learned with my P car to go backwards...I brake with the heel, tap the toe on the throttle pedal. Not so difficult when you wear size 13 shoes...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

When I first learned of this method in my mispent youth (reading of all things, a sports car magazine) I taught myself toe the brake, heel the throttle. That's the way I've always done it. Works on any car I've ever driven. Of course, it had a lot to do with my first car being a VW.
    Now that I'm an upstanding citizen I find that I don't drive as wildlly as I once did and this is only useful when showing some whipper snapper the quick way around a turn or two.
    Having ridden a lot of different motorcycles helped coordination too. Playing the drums didn't hurt either..... high-hat, kick, one hand doing this and the other doing that.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111