Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OEM Dash Pads

OEM Dash Pads

I'm in the middle of a complete interior restoration of my '69 S and I'm hitting a stopping point with my dash. The original is cracked and missing the speaker cover. I'm considering a new dash and speaker cover from Pelican Parts ($1200!!). They told me they are oem '74-'77 dash pads but should fit my '69. Is this true??

Any help is appreciated!
    Austin
    69 911S...2.2

Austin,

I might be in the same boat as you with my '73. Try contacting Sunset Imports . I e-mailed them last year and was quoted about $750 for the dash and grill. I hope that quote was for the correct dash.

Standard disclaimer: I have ZERO affiliation with Sunset Imports, just sharing the info.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

For another option, we (Evren & I) sent a cracked, warped, terrible looking Dash & Grille to these people:
    http://www.justdashes.com/
    Cost was around $500 with all the shipping, and the job took twice as long as promised. But the final result was fantastic. I mean gorgeous, I mean concours grade! We're still looking for a way to get Evren's dash to Istanbul. Anybody flying there soon who is willing to carry a light but bulky (60X12X12") box through airports? If looking new, be sure to ask the dealer if the dash he's offering has the speaker insert. Many replacement dashes sold do not...are one piece with perforations over the speaker area.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

great to know that the dash can be refinished without having to buy another new one. i think i will use them when mine needs replaceing.

Paul,

Where did you buy the crappy old dash as I have recently purchased RS #101 which is LHD and it has one of the later released dashes where the speaker cover is there but the hole pattern is angled across the corners not in a rectangular shape like the originals.

I would like to acquire an original dash and get Just Dashes to restore it for me however as I live in Australia we only have RHD dashes available secondhand over here. I you didn't buy it any suggestions where to obtain one.

Thank You

Clyde Boyer

Clyde the dash you describe IS original for your RS. It fits with the numbers and is no longer available. You can get a LHD dash with a removable speaker grill and rectangular pattern holes from
    www.southboundmotortimmers.co.uk but it would not be right for your car

Mike
    To ask is to seek denial

Mike,

I don't believe that to be the case as to the best of my knowledge
    they used the same dash as for the 73T,E and S which had the holes in a rectangular pattern and not angled across the corners.

This dash was made late in the 90's as a genuine replacement for the 73 dash but its not original as I understand

Any others want to confirm or deny.

Clyde

No the rectangular pattern is the new replacement. The angled corners on the speaker grill were original. I had one on my original 2.4T early 1972

Mike
    To ask is to seek denial

Originally posted by BOYER73S
    Paul,

Where did you buy the crappy old dash as I have recently purchased RS #101 which is LHD and it has one of the later released dashes where the speaker cover is there but the hole pattern is angled across the corners not in a rectangular shape like the originals.

I would like to acquire an original dash and get Just Dashes to restore it for me however as I live in Australia we only have RHD dashes available secondhand over here. I you didn't buy it any suggestions where to obtain one.

Thank You

Clyde Boyer
    Clyde, Evren bought this now repaired dash as part of a mass buy of parts from a 1971 911T that was being parted out. Wouldn't a cracked dash from a '73T, if you can find one complete with grille insert, match those installed on a RS? I guess I'm confused about these hole patterns descriptions...My car has a square shaped pattern of holes in the grille inset. I assume it to be original since I bought the car in 1974, with 7,000 miles on the odo. The dash is the same one that was in the car when I bought it. Just dashes insisted that the original grille insert come with the dash to be restored. Don't know why...
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Here's a pic Evren took of the right side of my dash. Not the best angle, but you can "sorta" see the speaker grille hole patterns...I suppose one could call it square or angled, depending on how you're looking at it?
    Attached Images Attached Images