Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dual batteries?

dual batteries?

One last question for the group! Does anyone have experience changing an early 911 back to the dual battery setup? Is it still possible to get the smaller batteries? If so, I need to find a kit. My car was converted to a single battery and, while I'm replacing my rusted out battery pan, I'm wanted to change it back to the original electrical system. Is this a good idea?

Thanks again.
    Austin
    69 911S...2.2

batteries

I just did what you are planning to do. Interstate makes a battery #911-50, I paid $65 each. I made two brackets from hinges and steel bought at my local Home Depot.
    There is a small plastic lip on the bottom of the battery that can be removed with a grinder if the fit to the battery box is too tight.
    Good Luck.

Phil Guiral
    73 911S
    67 Alfa GTV

great. How about the electrical connections? I have the car in a body shop right now and would like to give them instructions on what should be done. Thanks again for your help!
    Austin
    69 911S...2.2

Last time I checked, Stoddard's has all the bits & pieces. $$$, but you can be assured they will be the genuine articles...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

joelrkaplan
    the po of my 70T bought new duals from Performance Products in Ca.....@75 each..........

Sonnenschein of Germany makes gel cell batteries in the exact same size of the originals... $$$$ but the peace of mind about the elimination of acid spill and corrosive gases made it worth it to me...
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

It is not a good idea -- unless you are going to enter a Concours.

Stick with a single battery.

I've been from original duals to single optima mounted sideways in the left box then back to dual Sonnenschein gel batteries. Yep...I'll admit to a preference of the original set up, and mainly because of looks. But also because the exposed posts of the single battery set-ups made me antsy. My dual Sonnesheins still have their + posts covered with the insulators original to the car. I've never used the "stinger" type batteries with the single battery set-up. People who use them say they work well.

Originally posted by pwd72s
    Sonnenschein of Germany makes gel cell batteries in the exact same size of the originals... $$$$ but the peace of mind about the elimination of acid spill and corrosive gases made it worth it to me...
    Paul:

Who sells them?

Thanks,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

wish I knew, on the east coast. I bought my first pair from Ed Mayo in Texas. They quit dealing in them, so I then went to a funky little shop in Albany, Oregon a "battery exchange". Gave them the numbers off the dead ones, 7 years old. The numbers are: 90640..."dryfit" by sonnenschein. Keep in mind that sonnenschien makes a cheaper battery, sealed, but NOT gel cell. both are called "dryfit". I suggest insisting on the gel cell...