Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire help for factory 9x15 and 11x15

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tire help for factory 9x15 and 11x15

Trying to find some solutions for these factory wheels......anyone

I usually see'm on race cars ride'n on Goodyear or Avon slicks...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

There have been rumors that Yokohama will be reproducing some of their wide street tires for 15" rims, but it is only a rumor AFAIK. You might contact them to see if there's any truth to it. They made some that would fit your 9s and 11s at one time, but now you would be lucky to find an old set on EvilBay.

Another approach is to have hand-grooved slicks made up as street tires (wasn't that what B. Smith did on the blue widebody 3.8NA 930 buildup featured in Excellence this month?)

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Tom -

Yokohama did actually recently produce a batch of (100 ?) AVS 285/40-15's suitable for the 11"x15" Fuchs after a fair amount of pleading from the De Tomaso Pantera OC.

These were all snapped up immediately but I know of 2 people here in the UK that between them managed to get hold of 6 pairs of these tyres for their Porsches.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

I did see a UK poster on the PP forum offer a pair of big Yokos in this thread. So you Brits are hoarding them all, eh? Why the heck didn't they make a bunch more than 100 if they ramped up production again? I see people looking for them all the time, and then going to bigger rims when they can't find them.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

I sold Adam those 345s, I got them from Ernie's Alloys. I too have heard that there are some more 285s being made again, but I have no further info. I looked for a year or so before buying the 345s, then decided to go with 16" rims to get the choice of tyres
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Originally posted by nick-moss
    I sold Adam those 345s, I got them from Ernie's Alloys.
    Looks like Ernie's still got some on EvilBay

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

Jim,

In general, things are pretty grim with respect to wide tires in 15" diameter. I've run Avons and Dunlops on the street with varying levels of luck. The biggest issue being not too much in the way of puncture resistance.

There is some hope however. Michelin has recently re-released their vintage tarmac rally tire, the 'TB'. It apparently has a DOT rating (or equivalent) in Europe. I drove these once on an old Lotus in a vintage race event, and they work beautifully. They look the part, and offer I think a more appropriate solution to those of us wackos who want to the old 9 and 11" Fuchs. The performance is also excellent; very progressive at the limit and a surprisingly high level of adhesion. I'm told that the wet weather performance is quite good as well.

I have not yet found a domestic source for these suckers, although they appear to be the best solution for my '73 RSR replica that's in the throws of reassembly. Lemme know if you are interested in doing a group order from a European supplier.

Cheers, Chris

Originally posted by andyjboy
    Tom -

Yokohama did actually recently produce a batch of (100 ?) AVS 285/40-15's suitable for the 11"x15" Fuchs after a fair amount of pleading from the De Tomaso Pantera OC.

These were all snapped up immediately but I know of 2 people here in the UK that between them managed to get hold of 6 pairs of these tyres for their Porsches.
    Friend of mine had a set of 4 on his slightly modded Audi Ur-quattro. Recently they were for sale on ebay. Don't know if they sold, you might give these guys a call:
    Four Star Racing (905) 877-1733 they might still have them.

Tires

Ha! I have one 285x50x15 P7... maybe a hundred or so street miles.... Also have a couple of NOS 345x(forgot series#)x15 P7 Rally's... still have the stickers on them. HA!