Thread: Wheel Lock Source?

Wheel Lock Source?

With the threads on the escalating price of Fuchs, its time to source some locking lugs. I have the typical anodized black aluminum lugs and would like to find something matching, or close.

Buller, Buller, Buller, anyone, anyone???

TIA
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

The black lock sets with a "keyed" socket for 4 aluminum lug nuts with a special matching pattern that are sold by the dealer as part number 993.361.057.00 have worked fine for me. They are light and do not upset wheel balance.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Thanks TT...

for the part number and thanks to Rick for asking. We all should have a set of those...unfortunately.

S.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Thanks TT. 6 Shooter also recommends McGards. I found them on Performance.

Yeah, unfortunate sign of the times when everything has to be disabled, locked down. Now where's my Lojack?
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

The McGards at Performance sound nice too.

Well the price sounds nice...I will check the factory items price and post. I really hate to deal with the Anchorage Porsche Dealership...used to be a nice place back when it was Dale Hirsch Porsche Audi.

The only other shop I used to deal with was when I lived in CA. Back then, it was Bruce Canepa Motor Sports in Santa Cruz. Aftermarket internet part shopping is fine. But, factory part shopping is not so hot from up here right now. Or, at least...that has been my experience.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Originally posted by Shawn
    I will check the factory items price and post.
    Lat set I bought was $53 from the dealer w/ my PCA discount. The McGards are steel rather than alloy and are bound to be heavier, but they are a little cheaper...

YMMV,
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Wheel locks

Hello,
    I had McGards back in 1976 because there was not much choice. I went to the two piece lock that looks like the Fuchs alloy lugnut when it became available. They were supposed to weigh approx the same as the Fuchs lugnut. Hopefully they are more difficult to remove than the McGards (if they don't have the correct 'key'). There was another style lock (Gorilla ?!?) that used different size/spaced lugs on a cone-type lugnut. Supposed to shear the lugs off the lock/lugnut if someone was trying to borrow your wheels. Probably heavier than factory alloy lugnuts. I believe that there is another style lock that has an outer sleeve that spins without the 'key'. Sorry, but I am sure that these are a minor inconvenience if someone really wants your wheels. Peace of mind, but it probably only keeps the honest people honest. The best thing right now is that there is no trend/fad causing the old VDub/mini truck crowds to want our Fuchs (etc.) like before (at least in So Cal). For a while, it appeared that *every* VDub or mini truck ran Fuchs, cookie cutters, or MBenz hubcaps. I can't be the only one in SoCal to remember this....