Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2.2S shroud question

2.2S shroud question

Here are a couple of photos of the crappy, painted should that was on my 2.2S. I am going through an engine rebuild and want to put a nice one back on. Is this the correct shrould for the 2.2S motor? Is that metal tube that is riveted on the area in back of the fan housing original? If anyone has a lead on one for sale I would appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Brian,

That's the correct shroud (with MFI mounting holes). The riveted-on duct is correct, but was incorrectly painted red during the re-spray. Obviously, the original gray color is as seen on the inside.

I'll keep an eye out - Good original gelcoat finish one's are getting hard to find.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Jared,

Thanks for the reply. I am surprized this is the correct shrould for my car because everything else has been so screwed up. Do you know what that riveted tube is for? Yes they are very hard to find. I have a later shroud that is in very nice condition that I can adapt to work, but naturally I would like to have the correct part on the car.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Brian,

It directs air to the oil cooler on the right-rear of the engine...

If there is no fiberglass damage, you my be able to save what you have...

You can drill out the rivets and try to strip your shroud and air channel separately with paint stripper and lacquer thinner.

Then you can try the method I wrote about on this board for the shroud...

However, not sure how successful you'll be bringing back the light gray on the air channel....

...the channel will rivet back on with standard 1/8 aluminum rivets.

... it might be worth a shot
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

The tube on mine is part of the active charcoal cannister "filter" for picking up gas fumes. It hooks up to one of the 2 tubes that run up the drivers side rear firewall from beneath the car. You'd miss them with the engine in if you don't look carefully.
    It pumps air forward to the filter and the other line takes it back to the bottom of the air filter. It's a loop system for the sake of "emissions". I have all of the parts for mine and my tube is "tied" off with a pieced of plugged hose. I'll probably put it right some day but I got bigger fish to fry right now.

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Chuck,

Thanks for the input. I think it is pretty hopeless to salvage this shroud. It is cracked and broken in many places. I did strip some of the paint off and what is underneath looks much worse. There are thousands of tiny craze lines that are I can't get clean.

Just so you know that someone read your DYI instructions for putting the red back in. Look what I got in the mail the other day.

Tom,

That makes sense the charcoal system plugs in here. So I could easily leave that hose off and plug it up. That will simplify things. Thanks.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Yep, I have the diagram and actuallly found the 2 tubes that traverse the length of the car for the front hookups. They were easy to see with the engine out of the car. Plug it up and forget it.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

admin_old
    Brian,
    If it's FG it can be repaired. Don't throw it away. Someone will want to have a try at saving it.

Sherwood

PS: Since ebay came into existence, the term, "junk" is no longer in our vocabulary.

Don't worry guys I promise I won't throw it out. Yeah I am sure finding a nice one will be next to impossible. Don't tell anyone but I have a nice later style that I may use instead if I don't find one soon.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Originally posted by Chuck Miller

You can drill out the rivets...
    Ha -just don't forget the novocain!

There were several not too bad red shrouds at Hershey last year. Lot's of yellow and green. I recently picked up a nice original red one on the eBay. They do come up, but you have to be patient, and willing to outbid the other poor sap who needs one.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391