Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2.2S shroud question

Originally posted by pwd72s
    I might be talked into selling my red shroud...
    I find that red does clash badly with green. Maybe you could spruce up your engine compartment a bit with a chromed shroud

new shrouds

this is a 3.6 in amber that I just made. The gelcoat finish you are discussing is actually not quite the same as lets say a fender or a boat. In those cases the gel is sprayed first then the laminate is laid up after the gel "shells" In the matter of porsche shrouds, they were tinted in the resin, there is no gel coat top coat. break them apart and the color is fully present through the matrix. Red yellow green, same thing, the resin is actually tinted that color. And they are not hand laid, both sides are finished , this is more like SMC, sheet molded compound utilizing 2 mold halves, like a jet ski or a viper hood. I can however duplicate the top finish of the early shrouds in a new part, if you take a close look you will actually see the "Hair" in the early shrouds through what you are calling gelcoat. In FRP layup we try not to get the hair up to the surface, as this creates problems sanding for paint, or buffing a gelcoated part. I always make my parts in amber, or a black or white gel finish (sandable for paint) If somebody wants a new one in lets say RED, tinted as per OEM!!!, step up and say I DO!

Damon @ SERIES 900
    Sunapee, NH
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Damon,

You are absolutely correct in your description of the shroud material. Everyone keeps calling it a gel-coat finish, but it's not.

How about some red watershields to match an S shroud?

I would still like some info on your amber shields.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

My mistake,

I was using the term gel coat incorrectly, Damon and Jared are absolutely right...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Re: new shrouds

Originally posted by SERIES900
    If somebody wants a new one in lets say RED, tinted as per OEM!!!, step up and say I DO!
    Are you able to do your shrouds like the '69-'73's with provisions for the MFI inectors? Also whether the proper grey duct could be retrofitted or you go with the integral duct.

Thanks.

Sunday punch, I can make anything.

I think we need a new thread, the complete catalog of shrouds , by model and year, a definitive photo and part number.

Damon @
    SERIES 900
    Sunapee NH

You have PM from me.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Originally posted by sithot
    You have PM from me.

Tom
    Ahhh..geeze. Isn't there anything I can point to on my car and say it was done @ the factory? First the shell and other decals...
    Now my red shroud? Geeze guys..the real deal should matter...maybe???
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)