Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calif. Festival of Speed

Great write up Mike! Sorry I missed all of you guys out there.

Do you have any time sheets to post/fax/e-mail? I'd love to see some of your group and whatever group I would have been in in my little 2.0L (if different from your group).

Thanks

JP Plavan
    jp@plavan.com
    fax(858)630-2718

www.theplavans.com/racing
    '66 S-spec vintage racer

Originally posted by RSupdate
    Dave had it out Sunday morning. He was playing arouind with it using his own car, but that's about all I know about it.
    Dave told me he did 110db. That's loud, folks.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Originally posted by sithot
    Dave told me he did 110db. That's loud, folks.

Tom

Yup....'sure is....

But when looking at the big picture, not any louder than anyone else.

What was really weird to me, was seeing the occasional 996 or Boxster coming down the front straight well into triple digits and camparitively speaking, not hearing a thing, and I was up close, down in the hot pits... So... not believing what I wasn't hearing I took my ear plugs out the next time one of 'em came around....

sound wise....yawn...
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

wow

thanks for the eye candy TT. I can't wait to get this relocation completed.

Once I get a bit closer to the action I hope to be invited to pit crew...for the crew.

It would be an absolute pleasure to be a part of the fun. Been checking into car trailers too.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Gburner

Re: wow

Originally posted by Shawn
    Once I get a bit closer to the action I hope to be invited to pit crew...for the crew.
    Sounds great Shawn, your in.
    Start anytime you like, hopefully before John R gets his car back on the road err track I mean.

JP I've seen some timing sheets but I'm still trying to get a set myself right now. I have been told the results should be on the PCA National site in 2 week. If I get more info I'll let you know.

I have a gripe. Shouldn't really put it here on this thread, but I don't know where else? The CFoS is one of the 3 premier events we have here in SoCal, the other 2 being Dunkel's and GAFest. Of the 3, 2 are 2 days events (min) and all the action is on Sat. Not that I minded seeing what I saw and whom I saw on Sun, but think about it.

There was no Carerra GT or Jag that I could find. No cars for sale, no concours, no swap and some vendors had even gone home. This is the same at Ventura, to some extent. We saw numerous trailers leaving as well as cars as we were arriving Sun morn at CFoS.

I know I have to just go on Sat from now on, but I had to air this out a bit.

On another note, it was great to see Mike, Jim and some others I don't know well to speak to (like Mangus) and hear of all the sucesses. I heard of no carnage amoungst the locals here. Great stuff.

Gburner

Links to pics of the CFoS.

Hey Zeke,
    Seems to be the car culture in So Cal. Most car events are best first thing in the morning and tapering off early around lunch.
    For example Crystal cove, Donut Derilicts, car shows I've been too. I enjoyed the GAF Saturday but left Sunday at 10am with some others.

The CFoS Saturday was perfect, no wind not to hot and a 65+ cars in a 1 hour enduro. Good spectator count and a lot of energy in the air anticapating the Enduro.

Sunday at the CFoS was a little harsh with the wind and heat.
    I think the 3 afternoon sprint races were very exciting too. I think you see more side by side in the corners during the shorter sprint races. Yeah the spectator crowds were smaller and there was some race cars on the trailer early.

On a typical Vintage race weekend I always go on Saturdays. I hate going Sundays and seeing awesome cars sidelined that did run the day before.

Thanks for dropping in, Sunday most of us were a little burnt having been there since Thursday. I was kinda distracted when you dropped by, sorry if I seemd a bit rushed.
    Get your 911 on road and parked next to us in the pits next year, a little DE action at the CFoS is a must try once, at least.

Here are a couple hundred pics of the event.
    Friday.
    Saturday.
    Sunday.

It looks suspiciously like Mr Riz has had his goldy locks trimmed ?

Sounds like you had a great weekend John, Mike and all who ventured out there.

Well done Mike in your first racing effort.

Regards

Hayden
    Technical Director
    Windrush Evolutions Inc.

SNIP...SNIP...!!

I decided that with kind of a a new car & new graphics...the driver needed a new look too !!!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Gburner
    Hi Hayden,
    Your emails and discussion on car set up for the race was very helpful.

Move your operation to San Diego and I'll be a regular at the shop after hours with a bottle of wine or a couple cold ones hoping to learn more from your experiances. I need to get back to Big Willow and practice your tips in T 2 and 6.

Good luck to you and your wife this weekend at Buttonwillow, she's at the wheel this time right?

mg