Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Return of the Michelin TB15

Return of the Michelin TB15

Michelin has reintroduced the 1970s racing tire known as the TB15. It meets EU road standards and comes in 15" sizes. This might be an ideal tire for some of our applications. Does anybody know of any back-door importers who might be carrying this tire? I've searched the Web but haven't come up with any information on US availability.

For those who might be interested, the tire is described on page 11 of the March issue of 911 & Porsche World magazine.

Jack
    1972 911S- viper green
    1970 914/6- tangerine
    1967 Ferrari 330GTC- oro chiaro

Jack,

This tire was being discussed last week in the technical info section under the title 'tires for 9 and 11" fuchs' (or something like that). Coker Tire carries 'em. www.coker.com At the moment, they seem to be the only US importer. There might be a better pricing available with one of the European or UK distributors (although I haven't checked it out). There has been some talk of a group buy on these.

They are a nice driving tire, and I'm likely going to run them on my car.

Cheers, Chris

Thanks, Chris. I did a search for any mention on the BB, but obviously missed the reference. I'll check with Coker, although their web site didn't mention it (but then, my search skills aren't the best!)

Thanks again.
    Jack
    1972 911S- viper green
    1970 914/6- tangerine
    1967 Ferrari 330GTC- oro chiaro

Here's some info from the source:

http://www.reifenschlag.de/Michelin/Michelin.htm

The German-language page has prices in euros, for reference. To get to the german page, click on 'zuruck', then click on the Michelin icon. The table in the middle includes the "preis", or price.

As for the sizes, I don't see anything that would work well on the street Fuchs that we are likely to have on our relatively stock eary P-cars. The 215/55's might fit with rolled fenders. What do you'all think?
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

I see my link came through in German. There's a small icon for english in the upper left.
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

This one will work...

Size 15/60-15

That's a hell of a haircut imho. You can buy SO3s, AO22's and others much cheaper for "R" wheels and deep sixes.
    If you want the real vintage look do the XWX 185/70x15. Still not cheap but these were the "stuff" in their day. I remember running them 20+ years ago.
    http://www.coker.com/store/customer/...cat=290&page=3
    Damned things have gone up something like 34% since the last set I bought.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Man, I've been hold'n back on this one BUT……..

I'm with Tom…
    Of all the EASY, INEXPENSIVE, LOGICAL, SAFE upgrades you can do to any vintage car... it's putting on contemporary, or semi-contemporary tires!!!!!

I know all about the pics of RS's and alike haul'n-ass and drift'n on they're XWX's, Dunlops, or (God forbid) there P-CN36's… forget it! … Talk to someone that's driven on those things back then… I once hit some damp on CN36's back in the late 70's and it's no wonder that I'm not still spinnin today!!!

The tires today, and even 15 years ago, are such a quantum leap in safety and performance technology it's really not funny…

I know, I know, it's-da-look … I'm fighting a loosing battle with the period correct/concore guys … but fellas, give yourself a break and get another set of wheels and tires for touring… please

Sorry… my rant for the day
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Excellent points, Chuck. I worked with the owner of one of the original 1974 Carrera RSR's here in the US to restore it to as raced condition. Among his numerous sets of tires/wheels were two keys sets. One was fitted with Hoosier or Goodyear slicks for racing. One was fitted with some original Dunlop slicks I got out of Japan for him. The Dunlops were hard as rocks and used only at shows. Depends on what you need these Michelins for...race or show. I, too, would only use the Michelins to show.

More Michelin Info

Not to alienate my 'shine-it-up' buds...

I still have the OE 185x70 XWX (date stamped late '72) on the OE 6" wheel for my spare ...

... and so it goes
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter