Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updated '69 S, what a shame.

Updated '69 S, what a shame.

Nice enough looking car BUT.... The guy should have just bought a later car. What would it cost to undo this piece of work? I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort.

Interesting seats. SSSP??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2470225540
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

exterior

RGruppe #183

front

RGruppe #183

Looks like some bastardly thing you might have done now go undo it like that slope i did on the 75 euro 2.7 mfi targa for splatmaster ugh, if only I could have changed his mind...
    Damon @
    SERIES 900
    Sunapee NH

It's too bad. The car is pretty much ruined. The painted aluminum window trim will never be the same even after removal of the paint. It needs new fenders, bumpers, etc. Too bad...

I was looking at a 1967S up here, but that one was ruined too. Why would people do that crap to these cars?
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

Well, people are always trying to make their cars look more "moderne" I guess. It was all the rage in the '70s to update (and the '80s and the '90s.

Yeah, it's a shame that he rooned (sic) the car, it could have been worth so much more to him had he left it "period".

Still, as an early S it might be worth doing over for "sports purposes".

RGruppe #183

I kind of have to wonder where he got the work done, and . . . .

All work was performed by Porshe trained technicians.
    But, I guess after not understanding the value of an early car, it doesn't surprise me that he can't spell the name of it.

The work done to the car can't have been cheap. Metal flairs, 3.0L engine, bumpers, "modernized interior," CD stack with boombox speakers in the back.

IT'S BLASPHEMY ---- THAT'S WHAT IT IS!!

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

I imagine if I had a 996, and the 997s came out, and I was able to get rid of my ridiculous hockey-stick-shaped headlights and upgrade to the newer round-headlight look...

It makes me wonder what the reaction was back in 1974 when the new short hood look came out. There were a lot of early cars updated, so not everyone thought the later look was uglier. And the assumption must have been that the cars would only continue to get better. I mean, they'd been improving for 9 years, so there was no compelling argument that the long hoods would one day be the valued classics that they've obviously become.

Of course, with hindsight, it's easy to see that something was lost in 1974, and updating the earlier cars was a mistake. I don't think this particular car is going to be fully salvageable. But it could go back to a long hood, at least, and be presented as a modified early car.

It's interesting to remember that Porsche himself wasn't a purist on this point. He had his 73 updated with newer seats and got rid of both the ducktail and the MFI (?!).

And Piech's personal choices in interiors weren't always so tasteful, either. I'll bet Larry's fabric guy would have a tough time matching THAT sample.

In the mid-seventies, I'm sure there was still a lot of optimism about the 911 line, with the idea that the emissions laws would just be a bump on the road to better and better 911's.

Oh well.

Right, right, right. The rear reflector update kits were readily available as catalog items (and still are). The kid I bought Heidi's Tangerine Bastard '73 from had done all the bodywork on the car including the rear moderne-ization. Decent job though. He fabbed up the bumper in a very clean steel unified look. I never did get around to making it right before I Chopped the Car to Pieces (chassis rust)!!

It's easy for us to look back and slam these folks for doing all this unfortunated basterdization, but it was the convention of the time. I can see some market savvy enthusiast in the year 2025 cursing me for backdating the '80s cars and absolutely destroying the value of those coveted collector cars.

.....nah, probably not!

RGruppe #183

Hindsight is 20/20

We can always look back and wonder why people did the things they did. The value seen in antique shops is unbelievable!! The garbage that people are selling as antiques, and the things that we threw out in 70, 80, even 90 are valued today by someone!!! Imagine the value we could have if we still had that crapola to sell today!!

But, looking back, the classics have always been respected.

The problem is that . . . . . we don't know what will become a classic!!

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC