Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Leistritz' Factory Sport Muffler

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

'Leistritz' Factory Sport Muffler

I still can't believe they let me do this...
    But now it is all legal and in the papers!

My factory sport muffler will stay on my 73 and will roar down the road in Porsche motherland. It turned quite some necks already, on the weekend at the old 'Solitude Rennstrecke' outside of Stuttgart!

My muffler has the number 901.011.080/0579 stamped with the logo of 'Leistritz'.
    Was that company just manufacturing mufflers for Porsche?
    Does anybody know anything about the source of that thing???

It is looking like it once had the third pipe on the left (but it has been cut and welded shut on my muffler) so has the bumper cutout been closed, so I couldn't just mount any regular muffler anyway...

See everybody at Rennsport and Monterey with lots of pictures from Germany!

Thorsten Klein,
    RGruppe #276, Weissach, Germany

1973 Porsche 911 T/R (R ennsemmel) -
    LICENSED IN GERMANY (!!) WITH 106dB
    LEISTRITZ FACTORY SPORT MUFFLER!!!
    THERE GOES THE NEIGHBOURHOOD!!!

2014 991 Carrera (bad weather P car )
    1997 RenaultSport Spider (the 'last' Alpine)

"Das letzte Fahrzeug auf Erden - wird ein Sportwagen sein..." (F.Porsche)

Thorsten, I don't know if leistritz made only Porsche mufflers, but perhaps I can help with the cap on the end. Thet's the way the old "sports mufflers" were made...by modifying the standard muffler. Enjoy the noise!
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Thorsten,
    Talk to Rob Wolford, on his '73 RS, he still has all 3 pipes.
    You may be able to compare nos.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Yes, they made a 3 pipe style at some point. Caps designed for the two louder "small" outlet pipes, so the muffler sort of reverted back to stock for areas that had low noise regulations..here's a link to a reprint of an old PANO article...it gives a clue to how the old 2 pipe sports mufflers were made...
    http://www.911t.org/wklyreprint/modified_muffler.htm
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I have a picture in one of my Porsche books that shows this setup. It was used in rallys that may have gone through areas with noise regulations like Paul mentioned. Cap off the centers and it all comes out the end. I'm still betting it was noisy.
    Leistritz and Bischoff are the only 2 OEM's that I recall. Of course Dansk is handling the repops these days. Finding a nice Leistritz will set you back a bit, however, they are the "bomb" if you are doing a dead nuts restoration.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

you all (y'all) are correct...

but please remember that capping the twin rear outlets and opening the single side outlet was more benificial to the the early noise restriction perameters because....reducing exhaust restrictions also reduced the induction noise db.

This induction issue was a sound level restriction that was most problematic for the factory to comply with. Hence the 10lbs of twin inlet snorkle material and sound deading mat that most of our cars had when stock.

We all like Wide Open Throttle for a reason, other than acceleration...right. I know my car sounds great when all webers are open on WOT. However, I never suffer much in the way of G's.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Well...

I seem to be even more lucky to have this muffler...
    AND got it through the German tech inspection.
    We all were surprised though, that - doing the official drive by test - the car was never louder then 86 db.
    According to the regulations (with a 5 speed car) you can do it with about 30 mph in 3rd gear, that means if I really 'floor it'
    at that point - as I am supposed to do for the test - it doensn't really take off and rev up like crazy.
    So I pass the measuring stretch of 20 m without getting too fast and too loud...

Thorsten Klein,
    RGruppe #276, Weissach, Germany

1973 Porsche 911 T/R (R ennsemmel) -
    LICENSED IN GERMANY (!!) WITH 106dB
    LEISTRITZ FACTORY SPORT MUFFLER!!!
    THERE GOES THE NEIGHBOURHOOD!!!

2014 991 Carrera (bad weather P car )
    1997 RenaultSport Spider (the 'last' Alpine)

"Das letzte Fahrzeug auf Erden - wird ein Sportwagen sein..." (F.Porsche)

THorsten, It's a sign of good citizenship on your part. One should always follow the rules exactly as the bureaucrats write them.
    Well done!

I have a Leistritz sport muffler with three pipes. How would I check to see if it is original? Anyone have a part number?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

dm, any other closer picts and dimentions (pipe length, dia) for the dual out part of your set-up?

thorsten, any picts of your set-up with the single out blanked off? Is there a factory blank that would cover the hole?

Thanks all, I am thinking of converting one of my mufflers on my 67S to the sport type. Have always wanted to, and have the engine out right now for a detail...perfect time to mess with things. You know if it aint broke...trick it out and spend lots of money. The Porsche creed.
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown