Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still confused on 69 tool kits

Still confused on 69 tool kits

Hi all,

Still not sure about a correct tool kit for 1969 (911S). Did it come in basket weave or the smoother leather-like look (I believe the later is correct though my car has the former which most likely is a replacement. Also, a pic of the basket weave finish is shown in Johnson's book for 69)?

Does this one seem original and decent? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10076
    What is a resonable price for one these days?

Thanks,

Mike
    Mike Baum #505

57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint
    60 Citroën ID
    61 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI
    66 Lancia Flavia Sport Zagato
    69 911S Targa (Soft Window)
    72 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato 1600

Dunno about the bag pattern for sure...'69 was a long time ago. But IF memory serves, my '69 912 bag was waffle pattern, like my '72 bag. Just going by the pic in this auction? The tools look over restored to me. No "factory shop towel" was ever included, the fan belt didn't have a cardboard cover, and his fuse bag is wrong...the original fuse containers were made out of clear rigid plastic that had a sliding top. They usually didn't last long. The bag shown is from a later model year.
    $795 "buy it now"? Hell, you could replicate the wrenches, pliers, and drivers with all snap-on items and be money ahead. Stoddard makes a good strong fan belt wrench, and spark plug wrench can also be had in a more functional design. So, guess it all depends on whether you want a tool kit for use, or one for show. I still have my original tool kit...the only tool in it that gets used these days is the fan belt wrench. Maybe I should sell it, so I can pay off the mortgage & retire...Oh...wait! Already did that..
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

The seller of this toolkit is Scott Emsley..... and he is on this webboard.......I disagree a few times with him on his early 911 toolkits. This is one of them....

It's possible that that particular bag came in a 1969 car, or possibly a 1968 car.

The most common bag I have seen, is the smoother naugahyde vinyl with a tan interior. I have owned 3 1969 911S's, and all of them had this exact bag in them. I also purchased a toolkit from a guy who was parting out a 1969 912, and it also had the black vinyl bag with tan interior. Based on these 4 cars....I kinda doubt that it was 69 ONLY.........besides that the fabric reminds me very much of the 68 fabric on the door panels and dashboards.....so maybe 68......

Note that I would call the color of this particular bag in the auction, putty.

The waffle textured pattern ( as Paul mentioned) started in a very late 1969, and went through a very early 1973.

The tools in this kit are all correct, and I doubt that they have been restored, as I have looked quite closely at some of Scott's kit's. Scott is a toolkit collector.....and puts together some very nice kits....

For this type of money, I would hope that all the tools are NOS, or nearly so, and it should include an NOS fanbelt, correctly labeled "Porsche 9.5 x 710 Phoenix" and also have the correct fuse pouch that Paul described......the fuse pouch should also be scripted "pudenz" in red lettering.

I think I once sold a toolkit for a price close to this.....but it was quite literally NOS, unused and flawless condition.

Current market appears to be somewhere between $450 and $600 for an average to very nice kit, though sometimes better deals can be found.....a little luck at a local Porsche swapmeet can sometimes bring a few nice pieces of these kits.

You could also post a "wanted" ad in the classifieds on this board and see what shows up.

Feel free to call or email.

Eric Linden
    206 632-5158
    elinden@earthlink.net

As always, I have no arguement with Eric's opinion. He's the expert, I just hung on to stuff. My '69 912 was late in the run, so the bag material makes sense. Eric's description of the fuse holder is also spot on.
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Thanks Eric and Paul here is what I have learned:

If I want good stuff for the car, always put your wishlist on the classified section on this board (And boy, I want a lot these days).

The tool kit I have is a replacement one since it is the waffle/basket weave finish and my car left the factory in January '69.

Eric, I will email you since I have a couple of questions regarding orginality on my car - and how to fix them if there is need to do so.

Thanks guys,

Mike
    Mike Baum #505

60 Citroën ID
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Originally posted by Soterik
    ... I have looked quite closely at some of Scott's kit's. Scott is a toolkit collector.....and puts together some very nice kits....
    Scott was a former owner of my car. Guess that explains why it came without a toolkit.

Thanks for the great info Paul and Eric!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

IF I ever decide to sell my car? I'll include the toolkit...(as part of the selling price )

Still confused on 69 tool kits

My 69S was delivered in the UK in April 1969. When I acquired it it came with what I believe to be the original tool pouch. This is black basketweave vinyl, identical to the door panels and lower dash panel. The inside is also black and it has press-stud fasteners when rolled up.

Sadly the kit is incomplete. I, and probably others, would be most grateful if anyone could post a close-up pic of each toolkit item, so that we know what to look out for to complete the set.

Thanks

Elfenbein

Keep the early 911 faith!!!

Oh no. Now we have both - basket weave and leather like. Also, your car was delivered in April, mine left the factory in January - not that much difference either.

What the heck about these toolkits? Maybe I will focus on something else first, say getting myself a period correct radio, and get back to the tool kit later ...
    Mike Baum #505

60 Citroën ID
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI

Early radio you say? Here you go...to find out what to look for.
    http://www.nosubstitute.org/911/radio/default.asp