Thread: Solex to Weber

"Senior" Junior Member

Solex to Weber

Need some insight into what is necessary to switch from Solex to Weber carbs. I have a '65 2.0 L 911 and been advised that I'd be much happier with the Weber's. (I just overhauled the engine--and the Solex's this past winter---Solex's/engine continues to run rich--a problem I can't seem to resolve). Am looking at a set of Weber 40IDA 3C's on E-bay that appear clean (reletive to most others I've seen), that were removed from a 2.2 liter. From what I can gather, these would be suitable for my application, and I am assuming I'll have to locate intake manifolds to fit my application, correct? I'm also ignorant as to whether linkages will be suitable, and am assuming a fuel pump (I bought a new one for the Solexes that pumps to 5psi) and regulator will have to be added to the mix, correct?? Have done searches for Solex to Weber, ect, to no avail. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks Steve
    '65 911
    '02 M5
    '03 MCS

I have read that the Solex's were always too rich. You will need to ensure that the Weber's have the same jets and venturies as the late 1966 - 1967 2.0 911's. I have a couple laying around in the back barn from a late 1966 (1967 model year) with intake manifolds and all the linkage. The camshafts on the Solex cars are the same as the 1966 and early 1967 models (type 901/05 engine). My Weber's will need cleaned up with new gaskets since they have been in the barn for about 20 years now. I'm not sure if the Solex air cleaner will fit on the Webers though.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

"Senior" Junior Member
    Roblav, Have located a fellow who used to be a Porsche "line mechanic" , who has experience with Solexs. Plan on running car down (50 mi away) as soon as its roadworthy and have him have a look--am very tired of rich exhaust . Still want Webers (will pickle Solexs). Have been following Webers on E-bay and pel/pts for the past 3mos---good condition units seem to command around 1 K or so. Consulted John Walker in Seattle re/ Webers--- he cautioned that many are irrepairable from non-use/age. Wasn't sure if you were suggesting sale of linkages/intakes, or were wanting to sell entire unit? Am in N. Idaho (pretty close to a continent apart) so am wanting to buy fully functional units inasmuch as inspection is not possible (by third party as I am, as mentioned, ignorant in these matters (carbs). Thanks for the response---Steve L in N. Idaho (Son has an M3 which he Really enjoys '96)
    '65 911
    '02 M5
    '03 MCS