Thread: Titling a Classic Followup

Titling a Classic Followup

A month ago I asked for ideas on how to get a seller who had not titled their car, to now provide me with a title in order that I might title it in Missouri. I got a lot of good commentary, some very dire thoughts & some quite funny.

I took the approach of hiring an attorney to forward a legally threating letter to my seller with all sorts of possible legal hassles for the poor guy. Anyway, he has applied for a title in his state, he has given me a copy of his receipt for the back taxes and fees that he had to cover. So it would seem that by May 1 his Colorado title should be on it's way to St. Louis.

Once I have the title I will provide a picture. Thanks again.

That's good news. It's amazing how effective letterhead from a law firm can be.

Good that you're on the road to getting it all sorted JD.

Interesting note: In Vermont, the Department of Motor Vehicles does not issue a title for vehicles over 15 years old. Not required. You just get a certificate of registration and a note that no title is issued.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Wish it was that easy in Cal. I had to have the CHP come out to the house to verify VINs and about 20 forms to apply for the new title on my car.

It's now a race between getting that and my kardex
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Originally posted by Jens
    Good that you're on the road to getting it all sorted JD.

Interesting note: In Vermont, the Department of Motor Vehicles does not issue a title for vehicles over 15 years old. Not required. You just get a certificate of registration and a note that no title is issued.
    That's different. How do they determine ownership of the vehicle w/o a title?

Apparently, they're satisfied with a bill o' sale and registration.

RGruppe #183

Strange Indeed

Sunday, I agree with you. Do they assume that 15 years ago people didn't get titles? I guess if I ever am going to steal an older classic, I will take it to Vermont to get it registered. Then I can take it anywhere . . . . . ?

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Well, mine was slightly different. Previous owner declined the right to the property through DMV lien actions. No title was with the car so bill of sale along with the DMV papers was it. Still had to have DMV verify the car/check to see that it's not stolen and such.

Found out mine was "DRIVEN LIKE IT WAS STOLEN"!
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Cool

We have very lenient gun laws too. By virtue of residence you are allowed to carry weaponry, concealed or otherwise. Yet violent crime is much lower than other places where controls are very much more strict and most all firearms are illlegal. Go figure.

But back to the subject topic of older vehicle titles- shall I scan the document and prove it?

It used to be that Alabama would register just about anything. Remember the Count's 917 (ex-Le Mans) that bore an Alabama license plate on Germany streets? Ha!

...now where did I file that photograph.....

RGruppe #183

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    New Hampshire also does not title older cars. I think the limit is more than 15 years, but I don't have the exact figure.

When I returned to Califonia, I found getting tltle reissued to be rather hit or miss.

I can tell you that in California, at least, you can post a bond (available from many of the folks who do bail bonds) in lieu of having all the correct paperwork.