Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 911R wheels

911R wheels

Man,
    Wasn't it just yesterday that a FULL set of finished RSR wheels (2x9's AND 2x11's) were $5000.00 ....

Whoa....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Form the same seller, are these the through-the-grill driving lights for early 911's?

auction #2

joelrkaplan
    for the wheel experts..I see this e bay ad states some cars may need a small spacer....assuming the R wheel has a 49 mm offset(based on postings from the past) does any1 know from experience if these wheels do require a spacer?. I am thinking about ordering 15 x 7 wheels w/ the R offset and just want to be clear if I should order perhaps a smaller back space..... seems like if Porsche built the R wheel for outside(fender) clearance and more "inside" width, then a spacer would negate that........? I'm a bit confused......

The R wheel's 49 mm offset is too much for most modern day tires on a 911. That is why many people end up running a 6 to 16 mm spacer with these wheels. In other words, for this wheel on a narrow bodied early 911, you would want less offset than 49mm but more than the 23.3 mm offset of a regular 7x15 Fuchs. Something like a 40mm offset would be better. The backspace would also end up being less.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

joelrkaplan
    Randy.... thanks, I understand most of what you said but what do you mean by "too much for todays tires?"......I am thinking clearance is clearance....pls explain...TIA

I needed a 1/4" (~6mm) spacer on my 72 911 with 205/60 tires
    mounted. The result was about 2mm clearance between the tire and radius arm bolts.
    Greg DuPertuis

1972 911T
    Leesburg, VA

Originally posted by 72targa
    Form the same seller, are these the through-the-grill driving lights for early 911's?

auction #2
    The lights? Painted black on the back surface? Maybe made for the in the bumper 914 lights. The 911 "thru the grille" lights were shiny on the backside...at least this "fog"one is, as mounted by the factory, on my '72...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Thanks pwd72s! You just saved me 500 bucks!!

Hi All.

I've just put 911R 7" wheels on my 72S. They definitely required a spacer.

However...it really depends on a lot of things which exact size spacer you use. Because I am running 205's on Deep 6 Fuchs front (Dunlop), I went with a 215 on the R-Wheels in the rear, so that with the extra width, they would retain a balanced height to the front tires.

Tony @ TLG Auto (my compadre, mechanic/guru, and fellow gRupper) rebuilt and lowered my suspension with 26mm Turbo torsion bars rear and 22mm Turbo tosion fronts...so all of that affects the spacers.

We experimented with 1/4 inch spacers in the rear, but are probably going to end up with closer to 1/2 inch spacers rear and 1/4 inch up front.

Enjoy the wheels! They R-ock!

Cain