Thread: Non-Tinted Windshield Availability?

Non-Tinted Windshield Availability?

Guys,

I am looking for a clear (non-tinted/non-banded) windshield for my '73 coupe. I am having trouble locating one of these suckers...everything I have found has some tint to it (more modern stuff).

Any suggestions? I'm considering running lexan at this point.

Cheers, Chris

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    I ordered a windshield from Safelite, paid $220.00 - hand delivered. It's made by Pilkington which I believe is owned by LOF. No tinted band. It did take me 2 tries to get the right glass, so be sure to specify no tint and no antenna.

The only thing I didn't like was the small Pilkington logo etched in the lower drivers corner. A PCA decal hides it nicely though. Driving is much more enjoyable without a pitted windshield!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

glass

Cris,
    The glass is available from Porsche for about $475. You have to wait a while. It will come through with the mirror mount glued to the windshield. You can remove it with a heat gun and care.

Rick -

Is that $475 a current porsche price through a dealer....or aftermarket. The last clear one I ordered for a customer last year was $1100. If you get get them for 475 - I'll get one.

Jim,
    I was last year, at our Porsche dealer. I cashed in my $100 PCA voucher towards it. Probably changed now.

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Rick,

Do you know who makes the glass the P dealer sells? Is it Sekurit?

Good advice on removing the metal mirror clip. I used a propane torch on the frontside to heat up the adhesive. Once soft, you can gently twist it off with vice grips. Do not force it!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Thanks for the input guys. I agree with Jim; $475 is a whole lot easier to swallow than the $1k+ price I was quoted. I'll continue my search. And Rick, I may ask you to order a windshield for me if you can still get that price.

Have an incredible time in Florida. I look forward to seeing photos in Monterey.

Cheers, Chris

If you guys post the part # that you're looking for( or rick...the # you bought - I can tell you how many Porsche has in their german warehouse......).

Thanks

I am not the master when it comes to being organized with paperwork. I'll look for the reciept. I know for sure I'm not wrong with the price. In my soft window, I just installed a Pilkington at $125. It fit better than any glass I have installed.
    The brand of the clear glass I bought last year was Sekurit.
    Every year,(except last year), there has been a guy selling clear OE glass for $195 at Hershey. I never stocked up because he was there every year.

There is rumor that a guy is " slumping" a( process of making curved glass) ligtweight thinner RS glass as well as early stuff. no phone #, no advertising....he just shows up with truckloads of the stuff at some of ths events. Wonder ii its the same guy.

Anyway, my offer stands....if any of you guys want/need to ever check parts prices or availability of parts in the POrsche warehouses - its all on my desktop computer. Cool stuff.

Jim